1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

What does an "OR-retractor" do?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jammin06, May 2, 2004.

1. jammin06

7+ Year Member

how much experience can one get by working in the OR as a retractor or retracter or however you spell it. I know it's not exactly a glamorous position or anything along those lines, but what do they do and does it even remotely impress admissions people? I ask because I recently got a job in the OR where i was hired as a 'student intern' (aka paid b*tch) and found out that holding retractors would be one of the things i was supposed to do. thanks guys.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jamaican MD

Jamaican MD G.I.T.
    7+ Year Member

I guess the person would be responsible for holding the retractors in place, which are the thingies that hold the flesh apart after an incision is made. You probably wont get to do a lot, but you'll get to see a lot, and pick up some things. It sounds like a cool opportunity to maybe not do alot, but learn alot.

4. DMBFan61

DMBFan61 Boomer
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have done this for the last four years...when you get to know the surgeons and gain their respect you WILL get to do a lot. A lot of surgeons love to pass on knowledge to the younger generation. Don't be afraid to "belly up to the bar"

5. BassDominator

BassDominator Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Sounds like a great experience to get a feel for what doctors do.... good networking opportunity, too. The more they get to know you, I'm sure the more they will let you do. I wish I could have done something like that before med school. Have fun.