What does "bump" mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PittMedicine

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What the hell does "bump" stand for?

Members don't see this ad.

It refers to the practice of posting in an old thread for the purpose of moving it to the top of the board.

st.cronin said:
It refers to the practice of posting in an old thread for the purpose of moving it to the top of the board.

Is this Wikipedia's definition, I wonder?

Members don't see this ad :)
JayQuah said:
Is this Wikipedia's definition, I wonder?

Per Wikipedia--
To bump a thread on an internet forum is to post a reply in order to raise the thread's profile by returning it to the top of the list of active threads. This is also called "necroposting", i.e. thread necromancy, or "gravedigging", as old threads are said to be dying or dead.

Typically, a thread may be bumped after it has received no replies in several days, or when other, perhaps less significant threads have knocked it off the front page.

Thread bumping, which in its most open form is simply a post consisting of the word "bump", is commonly considered a breach of netiquette and some moderated forums forbid it. Users may get around that by posting what is ostensibly a genuine reply. Sometimes this will mockingly contain the word "bump" in it, such as *Is wandering the forum when he bumps into this thread*. It may also take the form of a trivial question or response such as "Anyone?", rather than using the word "bump" which makes clear their intention.

In other instances, bumping is used to keep threads deemed important from falling off a front page. In this case, bumping would not be a breach of netiquette; to the contrary, it may be seen as a necessary if mundane task to be performed.

BUMP is sometimes used as a backronym for "Bring Up My Post/Postcount" or as a recursive acronym "Bump Up My Post".

I was actually going to start a thread asking the same thing... now i know. Thanks

That's what you get on your head after falling down. -- sorry, couldn't pass that one up :oops:

How many of us will find creative ways to bump this post using the word bump in a natural sentence? Hmm.. I think I just did.

bump stands for:

"Bring Up My Post, goddammit!"

I'm not gonna even say it....but this thread is dying for a Chuck Norrisism

Chuck Norris's tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

I'd bet he'd make a killing in oncological pharmacology, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok, I'll oblige

"When Chuck Norris bumps a thread, people have to look on other forums to find it."

OwnageMobile said:
ok, I'll oblige

"When Chuck Norris bumps a thread, people have to look on other forums to find it."
:thumbup:

Chuck Norris doesn't bump threads, he simply roundhouse kicks all other threads til his is the only one left standing.

JayQuah said:
:thumbup:

Chuck Norris doesn't bump threads, he simply roundhouse kicks all other threads til his is the only one left standing.

Heh, works too.

bump means chuck norris just took a step.
-mota

mshheaddoc said:
bump is something that women get when they are pregnant.

And also when someone "bumps" an old thread.

Getting bumped is HOW women get pregnant