What does it mean to pay for one's own education?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DangerRoss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So if I took loan to cover 70% of the educational cost, paid 20% of total costs with grants and scholarships and the rest with the money I saved up from summer jobs with almost zero financial help from my parents, does that mean I paid for my education? I wasn't exactly sure what that phrase meant, since the expression seemed to describe someone who paid almost 100% of his/her educational cost by working full time while studying.

Members don't see this ad.

So if I took loan to cover 70% of the educational cost, paid 20% of total costs with grants and scholarships and the rest with the money I saved up from summer jobs with almost zero financial help from my parents, does that mean I paid for my education? I wasn't exactly sure what that phrase meant, since the expression seemed to describe someone who paid almost 100% of his/her educational cost by working full time while studying.

you didn't pay anything, the bank did.

I would consider that paying for your own education.

Why exactly does this matter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, that's paying for your own education.

If you didn't get handed free money from other individuals, you paid your own way.

If you're going to pay back your own loans, then yes, I would consider that paying for your own education.

Whoever said, "The bank is paying for your education" is full of crap. The bank is profiting from your tuition.

If you're going to pay back your own loans, then yes, I would consider that paying for your own education.

Whoever said, "The bank is paying for your education" is full of crap. The bank is profiting from your tuition.

:thumbup:

if you're going to pay back your own loans, then yes, i would consider that paying for your own education.

Whoever said, "the bank is paying for your education" is full of crap. The bank is profiting from your tuition.

+1.

Honestly there are two ways to pay for things: Blood ( labor) and cash. If you pay back the loans then you can say you pay your own way. If you are gaining this through military service then the service to the military counts as payment and you can again claim you paid your way. If you did it via scholarships or merit grants then that counts as work and you can claim you paid your way. If the grants are need based or parent based or any other kind of free money you did not earn you can't claim you paid your way. Just how I see it.

Paying for your education means that you will ultimately pay the costs of your education. You can pay now (work through school) or later (pay off loans), but ultimately it is you that pays the school.

BTW if you're going with loans to cover 70% of the educational cost, I hope you're going to the lowest cost school available to you, or at least close to the cheapest.

Honestly there are two ways to pay for things: Blood ( labor) and cash. If you pay back the loans then you can say you pay your own way. If you are gaining this through military service then the service to the military counts as payment and you can again claim you paid your way. If you did it via scholarships or merit grants then that counts as work and you can claim you paid your way. If the grants are need based or parent based or any other kind of free money you did not earn you can't claim you paid your way. Just how I see it.
Perfect. :thumbup: