What does it mean when you havent received an interview but not rejected?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amariesa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay. So really dumb question but its something I've been wondering for a few weeks and if some people have the experience, it would be really helpful if you help answer my question.

I applied and sent everything off early June and finished supplementals within 2 days of getting them. What does it mean when you dont hear anything back and yet the school has invited a bunch of other people who finished later? I just assumed that they were going by the order of when we submitted, but that doesn't seem like the case. Are they just...holding on to your application waiting for...something?

This limbo is stressful and I know its early but I'm just confused as to if I'm missing something? If I dont measure up stat wise, why not reject me. If I do, why not interview me. Why just...hold on to it?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Guessing you're a first time applicant? There's not much you can do except wait. Some schools like Roseman do not send out rejections until the end of the cycle; meaning you won't be notified until late May.

Yup. First time. Im just confused as to what they do with the applications meanwhile. Is there a...'maybe' pile or something? What causes them to maybe give me an interview 5-6 months after taking in and reviewing my apps?

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe, but from previous threads there are people with AADSAS completion dates of June and interview offers in October. Confusing times...

I wouldn't worry too much. You submitted everything quick. Every school has a different process. Some schools go in order of submission, while others don't such as NYU. Sometimes you may not be a first choice for the school but it doesn't mean you won't get an interview. I believe most people will start to get more interviews towards the end of august. Also remember schools want applicants that match their vision/mission so if a school is heavy on research and you don't have any, then you may not be an ideal candidate yet. Don't loose hope, i believe something like 60% of the interviews are given before December 1st and 40% afterwards so the cycle realistically just started.

Okay. So really dumb question but its something I've been wondering for a few weeks and if some people have the experience, it would be really helpful if you help answer my question.

I applied and sent everything off early June and finished supplementals within 2 days of getting them. What does it mean when you dont hear anything back and yet the school has invited a bunch of other people who finished later? I just assumed that they were going by the order of when we submitted, but that doesn't seem like the case. Are they just...holding on to your application waiting for...something?

This limbo is stressful and I know its early but I'm just confused as to if I'm missing something? If I dont measure up stat wise, why not reject me. If I do, why not interview me. Why just...hold on to it?

Whenever schools receive applications in batches, they choose strong applicants from each batch and move on to the next and so on. If I'm not mistaken, many schools after their deadline, go back and go through the previous batches again to select additional applicants to interview. So don't be anxious. It's a long waiting game. You've already done everything you can do.