What does it take to avoid burnout?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

priorities2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a student in a BSN program and planning to go back for a psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner degree relatively soon after graduation. I want to be an outpatient psych NP as my end goal. Everyone seems to be warning me about burnout... my mom thinks I should be a nurse anesthetist since they make such good money and don't need to deal with difficult emotional issues.

I'm really interested in mental health though. What personal traits would you say it takes to avoid burning out as a mental health provider?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm currently a student in a BSN program and planning to go back for a psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner degree relatively soon after graduation. I want to be an outpatient psych NP as my end goal. Everyone seems to be warning me about burnout... my mom thinks I should be a nurse anesthetist since they make such good money and don't need to deal with difficult emotional issues.

I'm really interested in mental health though. What personal traits would you say it takes to avoid burn out as a mental health provider?

Be emotionally mature and stable and have a real passion for the work. Natural empathy, etc.

Be emotionally mature and stable and have a real passion for the work. Natural empathy, etc.

Wouldn't that go with any career? I'd say good time management and leaving most of your work at work and try to keep your home life as separate as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wouldn't that go with any career? .

not really. Have you been to the DMV before? And I dont know too many empathic wall street bankers...

Reactions: 1 user
Wouldn't that go with any career? I'd say good time management and leaving most of your work at work and try to keep your home life as separate as possible.

For me, it comes down to leaving the work at work. I recall doing that when I was only seeing 1-3 clients a week as a early graduate student and I think carrying that over to now when I work as a full time therapist (about to start predoc internship), it's very helpful.
I'll even go so far to say that I'm not always emotionally mature, either. :). I still love doing clinical work and doubt I'll be one to burnout.

My thesis is actually based upon occupational burnout among on-post military mental health providers. Much of the research regarding burnout among clinicians has shown that the lower amount of years in school/education, lower the self-efficacy, higher the caseload, the less social support (at home and/or work), less self-care practices, and less reliance on evidence based practices (EBPs) are risk factors that increase one's chances of occupational burnout. Burnout also has an effect on your ability to be engaged in your work, which often renders therapists less able to empathize and show compassion for their clients, putting their practice and their clients at risk. As far as personality traits go, self-efficacy is a big one, and I suppose the ability to be social or accept social support from others is another key part.

My thesis is actually based upon occupational burnout among on-post military mental health providers. Much of the research regarding burnout among clinicians has shown that the lower amount of years in school/education, lower the self-efficacy, higher the caseload, the less social support (at home and/or work), less self-care practices, and less reliance on evidence based practices (EBPs) are risk factors that increase one's chances of occupational burnout. Burnout also has an effect on your ability to be engaged in your work, which often renders therapists less able to empathize and show compassion for their clients, putting their practice and their clients at risk. As far as personality traits go, self-efficacy is a big one, and I suppose the ability to be social or accept social support from others is another key part.

This response is awesome and informative. Would you be willing to share your reference (or any reference) indicating that EBPs are a protective factor in terms of professional burnout?

I'm really interested in mental health though. What personal traits would you say it takes to avoid burning out as a mental health provider?

What others mentioned plus someone that constantly like to develop her skillset and challenge herself. Someone who doesn't see mistakes as setbacks, but opportunities for growth. Openness to feedback from others and realizing that you don't know many things.

For the EBP portion, I am going to have to look through my sources to pinpoint which source actually referred to EBPs being a risk factor (did I mention that my thesis is still a work in progress? I propose in a month or two, ha). I'll get back to you!