What does it take to be a pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avrelian

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in chemistry, especially inorganic, I love biology, I like to talk with people about their health and health issues in general, I am very good with numbers , have a good memory-- do I fit the bill?

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in chemistry, especially inorganic, I love biology, I like to talk with people about their health and health issues in general, I am very good with numbers , have a good memory-- do I fit the bill?
yes...same answer if you want to be a medical doctor, dentist, optomitrist, physician assistant etc...

6 years..considerable debt....intelligence... and

The ability to count in 5's!!

Members don't see this ad :)

you need one more thing.
deliberation.
spending 5 years with deliberation mean some thing . isnt it?

Good enough test taker, and genuinely nice person.

Enough self-control not to slap the chiropractor who questions the legitimacy of YOUR degree...no, seriously. Been there, done that.

What does it take to be a pharmacist?

Decent PCAT and GPA to get in to RX school.

:smuggrin:

pharmaceutics and pharmacology really sucks....
i didn't know that it is that much dry!
and i found it hard to study these dry subjects 5 years

"Fitting the bill" and getting into a program are very very different things. Go shadow a pharmacist and see if it something you would enjoy as a career, nothing like going out into the real world!

An ability to multitask, explain things well, and keep your cool.

Or a prescription for something that keeps your cool for you.

pharmaceutics and pharmacology really sucks....
i didn't know that it is that much dry!
and i found it hard to study these dry subjects 5 years

Hmm... I found pharmacology very interesting! It is like a physics formula. If you know the formula, you can solve problems. If you know a class of drugs, you can predict the drug's MOA, SE, DI, etc... and you don't have to memorize those about every single drugs, very intriguing!

However... therapeutics is WAY dry to me... It is like memorizing diagnosis criteria, flow chart, dosages...

willing to spend 6 years in a pharm D program that's just basically study study study for atleast 2 or 3 exams a week for a semester and then multiple finals on the same day for a week. as well as being able to handle the patients that want their control medications early, complaining someone stole it or lost it 10 times a day.

=P just a brief overview. lol, subject matters varie as well as test taking. my college is weird =P

If I was giving a tour to interviewing pre-pharms at my school i'd probably say:

A tolerance for academia, in every sense of the word. From endless work, to dealing with politics and some professors abusing power.

A sense of humor, it'll get you through.

Coping with stress, be it working out / partying, etc.

Don't take yourself too seriously. The more serious you take yourself, the more disappointed you'll be with everything around you - and that's a bad feeling.

compassion toward other people is also a requirement:)

Enough self-control not to slap the chiropractor who questions the legitimacy of YOUR degree...no, seriously. Been there, done that.

taking finals now so kinda feel down... but you made me laugh hard... :laugh: :thumbup: