What does it take to become a preceptor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rx2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know you have to take some course, but do you also have to pay a fee every year or so to be a preceptor (like we pay to renew our pharmacist license)? I want to become a preceptor in the future because I like to share my knowledge with others. My retail preceptors didn't teach me anything, I was just a free labor extra tech that filled for them the entire day.

Members don't see this ad.

Most preceptors are volunteers. The site gets money but not the preceptor usually.

Members don't see this ad :)
My retail preceptors didn't teach me anything, I was just a free labor extra tech that filled for them the entire day.
That's a shame. I hope you gave feedback to your school about this. You deserve better.

I had to take some CEs and be practicing for 2 years to be a preceptor.

That's a shame. I hope you gave feedback to your school about this. You deserve better.

I had to take some CEs and be practicing for 2 years to be a preceptor.

I, along with my classmates, have complained that a lot of retail rotations just "use" us as free labor and teach us anything. We complained, but nothing was really done about it. I guess since preceptors volunteer and aren't paid for it, they don't really care what our school or students say?

I, along with my classmates, have complained that a lot of retail rotations just "use" us as free labor and teach us anything. We complained, but nothing was really done about it. I guess since preceptors volunteer and aren't paid for it, they don't really care what our school or students say?

You are not alone on that one. ALL of my retail IPPE rotations were just overt free labor, this one preceptor actually had to fix the schedule on the account that I would be coming in on certain days.

Part of the reason why I despise retail. Preceptors do get free access to school's biomedical databases. Thats a huge plus IMO.

You are not alone on that one. ALL of my retail IPPE rotations were just overt free labor, this one preceptor actually had to fix the schedule on the account that I would be coming in on certain days.

Part of the reason why I despise retail. Preceptors do get free access to school's biomedical databases. Thats a huge plus IMO.

That's exactly what happened to me during my IPPE and APPE retail rotations. My IPPE preceptor asked for my availability 2 weeks in advance in writing that way she can schedule her techs around me to save on tech labor. My APPE rotation did the same to me as well. The pharmacy was on a budget, so they needed to cut tech hours. It was only me and 1 tech working; I would fill and the tech would work the window and process scripts.

some schools charge you for the ce, some don't. and it's the exact same ce. you just gotta find it.

the pic tried to pull that scheduling thing when i had a student and i had a fit. of course, he was mad because he wasn't a preceptor and couldn't get any free help. but i tried to teach whatever i knew about paperwork and management and counseling and let her fake verify and i'd be verifying again after her. she had already been a tech so she knew all the other stuff. anywho i would dispense and type for her and send down mistakes on purpose just to see if she would catch it. but then she caught on something was amiss because when she grabbed the bad one i'd stop and stare haha.

My 2 retail rotations were garbage. I did not learn anything outside my drug information assignments. I was 8 weeks of free full time intern labor and made nothing but doctor calls ALL day. This place also called doctors for everything, so I was making numerous pointless calls. It was a waste and I made sure the school knew it but nothing changed for the next year

My 2 retail rotations were garbage. I did not learn anything outside my drug information assignments. I was 8 weeks of free full time intern labor and made nothing but doctor calls ALL day. This place also called doctors for everything, so I was making numerous pointless calls. It was a waste and I made sure the school knew it but nothing changed for the next year

I enjoy my retail paid job but all my retail IPPEs have been worthless. I could be studying or doing something much more productive. 5,10,15,20,25.....all day long. Preceptors are to busy counting and verifying to critique my counseling or listen to a drug eval I put together. My mouth hurts from fake smiling all day at that rotation.

Depends on state regulations, but generally anyone who has worked for a certain number of years can register and become a preceptor. Some states don't have any requirements at all. Being a good preceptor and making the experience worthwhile requires a big time investment and a lot of effort on part of the preceptor, and not everyone realizes that getting in. Or some are just pushed into it by their workplace, I guess...

My retail rotation was at an independent pharmacy that did tons of compounding. I hung out in the back and made suppositories, creams, and various custom HRT capsules all day. It was a cool rotation.

My retail rotation was at an independent pharmacy that did tons of compounding. I hung out in the back and made suppositories, creams, and various custom HRT capsules all day. It was a cool rotation.

Same here. Also had a Walgreens, where I was just the fill robot. Had another retail at Kroger, where the preceptors were excellent and all I did was counsel and manage their immunization clinic.

According to Florida law, a preceptor must be practicing for 2+ yrs, no criminal record, and can only have 1 student to 1 preceptor ratio. As far as I remember from law class...