What does it take to get an endo residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Krony

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there are a variety of students with different credentials, scores, and experiences that wind up in this field. Nonetheless any general suggestions regarding the kinds of scores, class rank, research, letters, experiences, etc. that are commonly seen amongst successful applicants would be of help.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

the endo at san antonio - they rarely take more than one person straight out of dental school, of the ones they do - most are 99 boards, ranked 1 or 2, killer research, the whole nine yards. the others that get in have experience, and good if not identical numbers.
one person a year ahead of me got into st louis straight out of dental school, he was #4 and 95 on boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
What does it take to get an endo residency?

Experience after dental school. RARELY do programs take students right out of school, as the other poster mentioned. In fact, it is most often stipulated that an applicant MUST have some sort of post-grad experience (GPR, AEGD, private practice, etc.) prior to applying to an endo. residency.

For this reason, endo is the most difficult specialty to match into directly out of dental school.

I have a friend who got into straight out of D-School with an 89. Not sure about his grades, but I'm sure he did really well.

So, it can be done!

booshwa said:
I have a friend who got into straight out of D-School with an 89. Not sure about his grades, but I'm sure he did really good.

So, it can be done!

In all honesty, that is an amazing story. He must have been a 100% spectacular applicant in other areas.

So while it does happen, I'd say his example is not at all the norm. For 99% of us, getting an 89 on the boards and then applying right out of school won't get us into an endo residency.