what does matriculation exactly mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclamendoza

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who is asking me a question and I am not quite sure of an answer so can someone please tell me what matriculation means as it pertains to AMCAS? Any information would be appreciated as I do not want to give my friend false information. Thanks in advance.

:p

Members don't see this ad.

thanks street philosopher. she had been accepted to an out of state school and may decline due to the fact that their tuition is rising for all 4 years and she does not want to leave her baby (she found out she is pregnant) and will probably reapply to in state schools. thanks so much and good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if that's a good idea. Tuition increases all 4 years at most if not all medical schools. I vaguely remember that there are some restrictions on re-applying if you've matriculated, but even without matriculating, schools are wary to accept someone who has previously been accepted. And to point out the obvious, there is no guarantee that she will be accepted to an in-state school the next time around, and in fact her chances might be worse due to the reason I already mentioned.

Tell your friend to ask the school if she can defer her acceptance a year and still reapply to her state schools. If she's accepted at a private school, they will sometimes allow this. I'm doing that.

hey wolferman. she got into an out of state public school and is waiting to hear back on the deferment. the school said she could reapply to other schools while on deferment.