What does " / " mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koffein

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If someone could let me know what the forward slash means following a paragraph I'd appreciate it.

Example:
Words words words words words words words words words. Words words words words words words words words words. Words words words words words words words words words.

/another word

What function does that forward slash have? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Is this in a legal document or on the internet?

On the internet, it's usually a misnomer off a command line. For example if someone said something they thought put the discussion to an end, they might say /end thread, which signifies the command of ending a thread.

If it's in a legal document... the only thing I can think of is that sometimes secretaries use it to denote who typed the document with their initials.

yeah it's from HTML. to start a tag you type <tag> and to end it, </tag>

Members don't see this ad :)
Its in internet language, not in legal documents, that I've seen it. I saw it a couple of times on SDN and elsewhere at the end of a post, but not with the purpose of ending a thread - just a single post.

It may be something like "/" followed by a one or two mildly funny words to conclude the post.

yeah it's from HTML. to start a tag you type <tag> and to end it, </tag>
I've seen the HTML tagging thing and that is different from the thing I'm referring to... Maybe it is just a bizarre coincidence that I've been seeing it. Its definitely different from the tagging thing.

Its in internet language, not in legal documents, that I've seen it. I saw it a couple of times on SDN and elsewhere at the end of a post, but not with the purpose of ending a thread - just a single post.

It may be something like "/" followed by a one or two mildly funny words to conclude the post.

Right. So if I type a long, annoying rant, I can end it with a sort of self-conscious joke by saying "/annoying rant" at the end. Read out loud, that would be "end annoying rant". I'd type it to show that I realized what I just wrote was an annoying rant. It's a joke that comes from HTML.

If someone could let me know what the forward slash means following a paragraph I'd appreciate it.

Example:
Words words words words words words words words words. Words words words words words words words words words. Words words words words words words words words words.

/another word

What function does that forward slash have? Thanks.

[rant] Today I got rejected by derek zoolander medical school for kids who dont read good post-secondary. I dont read good and would have been a perfect fit. FML [/rant]

[rant] Today I got rejected by derek zoolander medical school for kids who dont read good post-secondary. I dont read good and would have been a perfect fit. FML [/rant]

Wow that was such an impressive demo of how to use the tags that I'm speechless..

/sarcasm

Wow that was such an impressive demo of how to use the tags that I'm speechless..

/sarcasm

[sarc]You are too good at sarcasm [/sarc]

I've got it now. Interesting. Thanks for the clarifications.

Oh, before there was FML, people often typed /wrist