what does MOD stand for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey in dental town, they ask what the "o" in MOD stands for in the field of dentistry. Does any one know what that stands for?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it means
M esial
O cclusal
D istal

but i could be wrong

Members don't see this ad :)
denty said:
I think it means
M esial
O cclusal
D istal

but i could be wrong
Man, does it ever! We started cutting class 2 preps a couple weeks ago... and I still suck. Does it ever get better? VERY difficult. But then again... so was waxing #3 and I got pretty good at that! Until then... bah humbug! :thumbdown:

Thanks Aphistis, :D

so true,

we just had our practical yesterday. class 2 MO prep and a DO restoration. went in the lab on su to practice. bought 2 teeth and i absolutely sucked. came home very upset with my work.

then bought another one and prscticed right b4 the practical. make the story short, the one that i finally did in the practical should earn me an A or i am gonna be furios.

PRACTICE DOES PAY.

What do you practice on? Extracted teeth? Your classmates? :scared:

UNLV practices on our simulators. They are like "dummy" heads with teeth that you prep. Pretty realistic positioning, but from what I hear not so realistic texture.

Not at all. It's amazing going from the sim teeth to the real thing. Most everything just flows through real enamel like butter it seems like. The feel is a lot easier, but after using sim teeth you develop much better control.

I hear you on the Class II's though. Getting that reverse curve and slightly divergent boxes always get me. Cleaning up with a hatchet always helps me finish the prep a little.

ManzRDH said:
You get models to work on. Nice thing about them is if you screw up, you can just go buy another tooth--I understand that's not an option upstairs in the clinics. ;)

ManzRDH said:

practice on upper classmen.lol

ucd said:
Hey in dental town, they ask what the "o" in MOD stands for in the field of dentistry. Does any one know what that stands for?

how can you be going into dentistry seriously and not know what MOD stands for?

UDM or bust said:
Let's discuss the relative merits of lateral condensation vs. gutta-percha carrier systems for root canal obturation--what? You don't know? How can you be going into dentistry seriously and not know how endo is performed?

Because you haven't started dental school yet, same as the OP. Call off the dogs there, killer.

UDM or bust said:

Can you explain to me the pros and cons of using complete cast crowns as opposed to PFMs?

What about the antibiotic resistances of bacteria related to periodontal disease?

I doubt many people know what most terms related to dentistry are prior to starting dental school. I guess that's just a crazy concept to you.

hold on a second -

first of all, I said what I said because I probably knew what MOD stood for when I was like 8 not to mention i've been working in an office for six years.

second of all we could probably have a chat all about endo or perio or PFMs if you want to - i've had some really good mentors over the years.

i certainly didn't mean to jump down anyone's throat over the comment like i am all mighty. yet again, an example of how things in forums get taken the wrong way.

sorry to all offended

UDM or bust said:
hold on a second -

first of all, I said what I said because I probably knew what MOD stood for when I was like 8 not to mention i've been working in an office for six years.

Wow, you knew what MOD was at the age of 8, and what, at 16 you probably knew how to fabricate a Class 2 partial denture. With a background like that I know one place you will struggle in Dental School, Gross Anatomy-Female Reproductive. I think you now may be the biggest DORK on SDN.

InMyCrossHairs said:
Wow, you knew what MOD was at the age of 8, and what, at 16 you probably knew how to fabricate a Class 2 partial denture. With a background like that I know one place you will struggle in Dental School, Gross Anatomy-Female Reproductive. I think you now may be the biggest DORK on SDN.
:laugh: :laugh:
OUCH!!!!

I don't ever want to be in your cross hairs! ;)

i think the magic word is 6 YEARS of exp. you had 6 years of dental exp.

enough said.