1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

what does "notarized" mean?

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by lihuahuang, May 3, 2004.

1. lihuahuang

lihuahuang Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi, can anybody tell me what " notarized" mean? I found out many schools ask us to send them" Notarized copy of the E.C.E. or W.E.S. Course-by-Course Evaluation report. and
    Notarized copy of your official diploma or graduation certification from dental school."
    Can we just ask ECE and our school to send documents directly to them or we have to have all the documents notarized by some organization?

Another question is the course by course evaluation is just to have ECE evaluate the dental school courses or to have ECE evaluate all courses you participated before? I have a M.S degree too. Do I need to have ECE evaluate that degree too?
    Thaks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mightymolar

mightymolar Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi. Notarized means that the document that you are presenting has been sighted by a public notary and that the notary can attest to its authenticity. You can find your friendly public notary at one of your neighbourhood Bank of America branch (if you are a customer there) or any attorney's office, or any university administration offices. Just make a photocopy of your original document and bring it in with your original to the public notary.

The dental school wants to see your previous entire DENTAL school transcript. So don't bother with your elementary school transcript! However, I would add your graduate course transcript (was it done overseas?). If done in an English-speaking country, then just get it notarized.

Cheerio.

M

4. lihuahuang

lihuahuang Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks, Mightymolar. So we don't have to spend another $15 to ask "ECE" to send an original copy directly to them? Just have the copy ECE sent to us notarized by somebody?

Another thing is that my M.S degree GPA is not good I think. I don't know how much GPA is good enough. And the degree is in non english country.

5. dentaldoc

dentaldoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Good reply! :thumbup:

6. elementz

elementz Happiness and Sunshine:)
    7+ Year Member

hi lihuahuang,
    Mighty molar has very nicely explained about notarization.
    What he means is that when you go to the notary you can take a few (photo)copies of the official document (original) that you have with you and ask him to notarize them(put his signature and seal).
    what the notary does is that he just confirms that the documents that you are sending the college are copies of the original and not any other.

Also you don't have to worry if you degree/transcripts are from a non english speaking country.You just have to get them translated into English and get copies of the same notarized too.
    best wishes,
    elementz :D

7. lihuahuang

lihuahuang Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks, Guys.
    So did you guys order any additional reports from ECE or WES? I heard somebody ordered 10 additional reports from WES. If most schools just ask notarized copies, then we don't need to waste money?

8. lilaclove

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    So does this mean WE can send a photocopied that was notarized or does our dental school need to send it?