what does "notarized" mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lihuahuang

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, can anybody tell me what " notarized" mean? I found out many schools ask us to send them" Notarized copy of the E.C.E. or W.E.S. Course-by-Course Evaluation report. and
Notarized copy of your official diploma or graduation certification from dental school."
Can we just ask ECE and our school to send documents directly to them or we have to have all the documents notarized by some organization?

Another question is the course by course evaluation is just to have ECE evaluate the dental school courses or to have ECE evaluate all courses you participated before? I have a M.S degree too. Do I need to have ECE evaluate that degree too?
Thaks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. Notarized means that the document that you are presenting has been sighted by a public notary and that the notary can attest to its authenticity. You can find your friendly public notary at one of your neighbourhood Bank of America branch (if you are a customer there) or any attorney's office, or any university administration offices. Just make a photocopy of your original document and bring it in with your original to the public notary.

The dental school wants to see your previous entire DENTAL school transcript. So don't bother with your elementary school transcript! However, I would add your graduate course transcript (was it done overseas?). If done in an English-speaking country, then just get it notarized.

Cheerio.

M

thanks, Mightymolar. So we don't have to spend another $15 to ask "ECE" to send an original copy directly to them? Just have the copy ECE sent to us notarized by somebody?

Another thing is that my M.S degree GPA is not good I think. I don't know how much GPA is good enough. And the degree is in non english country.

Members don't see this ad :)
mightymolar said:
Hi. Notarized means that the document that you are presenting has been sighted by a public notary and that the notary can attest to its authenticity. You can find your friendly public notary at one of your neighbourhood Bank of America branch (if you are a customer there) or any attorney's office, or any university administration offices. Just make a photocopy of your original document and bring it in with your original to the public notary.

The dental school wants to see your previous entire DENTAL school transcript. So don't bother with your elementary school transcript! However, I would add your graduate course transcript (was it done overseas?). If done in an English-speaking country, then just get it notarized.

Cheerio.

M

Good reply! :thumbup:

lihuahuang said:
Just have the copy ECE sent to us notarized by somebody?

hi lihuahuang,
Mighty molar has very nicely explained about notarization.
What he means is that when you go to the notary you can take a few (photo)copies of the official document (original) that you have with you and ask him to notarize them(put his signature and seal).
what the notary does is that he just confirms that the documents that you are sending the college are copies of the original and not any other.

Also you don't have to worry if you degree/transcripts are from a non english speaking country.You just have to get them translated into English and get copies of the same notarized too.
best wishes,
elementz :D

Thanks, Guys.
So did you guys order any additional reports from ECE or WES? I heard somebody ordered 10 additional reports from WES. If most schools just ask notarized copies, then we don't need to waste money?

Cheerio.

M

So does this mean WE can send a photocopied that was notarized or does our dental school need to send it?