What does PM&R mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Student247

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently visited the finacial aid group on SDN and was interested to know what residency program is abbreviated PM&R? What does it stand for?

Thanks,

Student247

Members don't see this ad.

It means Physical Medicine and Rehab.
Hope this helps.

What sort of area of medicine does a physician who practices PM&R focus on? Are they limited to only rehab type cases or do they treat other illnesses? Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I was fortunate enough to be able to shadow a D.O. at the Michigan State University Health Center who worked in PM&R. She saw patients ranging in age from 7-adult and worked with so many different problems. Individuals with sports related injuries came in, people with diseases like Multiple Sclerosis, Muscular Dystrophy and Cerebral Palsy came in. She was able to treat muscle tremors with Botox injections and really assisted patients in keeping a healthy lifestyle. I was amazed by how well she was able to interact and make a difference with patients as well as with her large knowledge base. If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know!

OsteoMed02
Did you write about shadowing that doc in your Personal statement? I also shadowed a PM & R D.O. and I'm trying to incorporate it into my PS right now. Thanks.

Lady Bug-

I didn't write about that experience in my personal statement because there was hardly enough room to go into detail. I gave a more thorough description of my shadowing experiences on my secondary application. If you're applying to MSUCOM, you will get a lot of space to write!!! Good luck!