What does someone do if they have an A but are waitlisted to their dream school that takes people off the waitlist all the way into July?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1106140

What does someone do if they have an A but are waitlisted to their dream school that takes people off the waitlist all the way into July? Is it possible to say that one would matriculate to the A school, hold onto the waitlist spot, be accepted last week of July, drop the initial A, and matriculate at the dream school, or does AAMC not allow that with the April 30th deadline? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought you could hold waitlists after April 30th? If you can’t actually go, why would you be allowed to even do it?

What does someone do if they have an A but are waitlisted to their dream school that takes people off the waitlist all the way into July? Is it possible to say that one would matriculate to the A school, hold onto the waitlist spot, be accepted last week of July, drop the initial A, and matriculate at the dream school, or does AAMC not allow that with the April 30th deadline? Thank you.
Review the guidelines here on the AAMC site. Application and Acceptance Protocols for Applicants
ALSO review the rules at the individual schools in question because they may require a quicker response than the general guidelines here say.

Towards the bottom you can read about what can happen after April 30 regarding late WL offers.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This one is a no-brainer. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Don't screw yourself over by holding out for your "dream" school--take your acceptance, take the money, and run ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Once you CTE to that A school, you can't remain on WL at your dream school. Just that simple.

Reactions: 1 users
Take the acceptance!

A post-interview wait-list is just a kind rejection. I applied a few times and got a lot of them. Some were wait-list, some were "high-priority wait-list". The existence of the latter means that instead of rejecting you and making you feel bad or potentially sue, they are just nicely telling you "maybe if there's room" with no intention of there being room.

Is this definitely the case with you? Who knows.

But this really doesn't mean you're likely to get in because of the wait-list...

Reactions: 1 user
Just take the acceptance then. Never let perfect be the enemy of good. Most elite schools don’t take many from the WL

AAMC no longer controls the final acceptance system. This is now up to each individual school utilizing the “choose your medical school” (CYMS) Which is confusing with “Plan to enroll” and “Commit to enroll” better known as PTE & CTE. It is up to each student who was excepted to know both the dates for these two very important classifications for each individual school and the regulations about them for each individual school. Most schools and I emphasize most have their PTE date for April 30. On that date you must choose of one of multiple acceptances But can remain on the waitlist for all other schools. Most schools have a CTE date somewhere in June Or July. That date is typically either 21 days or 30 days prior to the schools date of actual orientation. Most schools require you to remove yourself from the waitlist by the CTE date. However there are a few schools that appear to have CTE dates on 4/30. I emphasize yet again that each student who has multiple acceptances and has a wait list on other schools must know the PTE date and the CTE date for each school. The reason I harp on this most schools do an automated process. Therefore if you don’t select the school by their PTE or CTE date they will resend your acceptance and may do so without notice. I have had a few cases of people who had a CTE date that fell on the weekend thought they’d have till Monday and they had their acceptances rescinded it on Sunday. I strongly advise students to not screw around with this and do not wait till the very last minute
Is there somewhere we can see each school's CTE date? Or do we have to go school-by-school and ask?