What does the NSU-COM Alternate List mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fuzzwinkle11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
just got word that I am now an "alternate" candidate at Nova Southeastern University....but i'm confused by this as the letter says:

"As an "Alternate" candidate, your application will continue to receive carful consideration, and you will be notified of any change in your status as soon as possible."

"Applications in this position are NOT ranked, thus we are unable to indicate where any individual is in regard to being accepted. If you have any questions......etc, etc."

so what does this really mean at NOVA? I thought I heard from office of admissions over the phone that there was no "waitlist" but just this alternate list......but its not ranked??? how does that work? anyone know if they usually pull off alternate list or not?

thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know. I would suspect that this is essentially the same as a waitlist. My suggestion would be to call the school and get a clarification as to what the difference is between being on an alt. list and being waitlisted. I would follow that question with the question of a general question about overall matriculation from alt. list.

Good luck.

keep the faith. One of my close study partners was going to VCOM and got accepted to NSUCOM with only a few days before school started....he even had an apartment there and everything.....its essentially a waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
i believe its like a waitlist.. however you aren't ranked, so you can be individual #100 put on this alternate list but be the first to receive a spot when one becomes available.

i think what happens is that once a seat is available they re-evaluate the alternate list apps and see who they think is the best to fill the seat.

i hope that helps :)

lktm831 said:
i believe its like a waitlist.. however you aren't ranked, so you can be individual #100 put on this alternate list but be the first to receive a spot when one becomes available.

i think what happens is that once a seat is available they re-evaluate the alternate list apps and see who they think is the best to fill the seat.

i hope that helps :)

Anyone at NSU-COM currently know how this works? I really don't want to call them again b/c I just can't understand the accent of the people who answer the phone and I don't want to sound rude :)

fuzzwinkle11 said:
Anyone at NSU-COM currently know how this works? I really don't want to call them again b/c I just can't understand the accent of the people who answer the phone and I don't want to sound rude :)

I don't know much about the waitlist and I'm going to go out on a limb here and say most of my fellow students don't either. I know my friend got his acceptance right before school (most likely someone dropped out after get another acceptance) and my other friend that was waitlisted had talked to the admissions coordinator and the dean and got in. (he had a good reason though)

I say follow through and if this is the school for you it never hurts to see what you can do.

From what i have understood, this is the same as a waiting list however it is not numbered. Once a week (or twice a month) the faculty meet discussing potential candidates.

During this roundtable, they discuss students on the 'alternate candidate' list each week, familiarizing themselves with your applications. Its not a numbered waiting list, therefore if you did your whole app the day before it was due, and I did mine back in november (assuming we both made alternate list) both our applicatoins stand in the same position. If a spot opens they will discuss all applicants on the alternate list and decide whom to invite.

Thats what i understood during the process, wasn't on the alternate list, however i'm pretty sure this is what i heard with my relentless questioning. If im totally out in left field, my apologies, but this was my understanding.

Max

NSUCOM, M1 Class of 2009