what does the subprime mess mean for the rest of us?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USCguy

Earnest Internist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, here I am, a medical student without any direct tie into the subprime mess (as far as I know). I don't own a home that I can't afford (well, at all), and I don't have any consumer credit debt. My wife is a public school teacher in a district that doesn't have enough teachers (good job security). What does the subprime mess mean for people like me?

If the Fed is going to keep cutting interest rates, what do you enlightened souls think I should be doing to "take advantage" of the situation? If I'm considering buying a house, wouldn't now be an excellent time. Maybe go find a nice home that is being sold below the "value" and make an offer that is reasonable for us (don't want to become a subprime casualty)?

Members don't see this ad.

For the most part, the subprime mess doesn't affect anyone who doesn't have a subprime loan right now. The long and short of it is, is that a bunch of people saw "refinance now and save money!" on TV, and went out and refinanced at an adjustable rate mortgage. Well, as we all knew (well, apparently not all of us), the adjustable part of the adjustable rate mortgage went up as the fed raised rates, and all of a sudden a bunch of people can't afford their monthly payments. So all these *****s who didn't look ahead a couple of months can't afford their payments and get foreclosed on, and all the companies that (with a smile and a handshake) tried to dupe consumers are suddenly stuck with all these houses that are worth less than the mortgages taken out on them. Now, all this money is taken out of the debt market (hence the term "credit crunch"), and consumer rates go up.

So, should you buy a house? Well let's investigate further. Fortunately for borrowers, the fed is lowering rates as we speak, and the gubmint is gonna bail out all the po' ol' helpless lit'tle home lenders (see: MORAL HAZARD). So money will still be somewhat cheap. If I were in a situation where I was going to buy a house, and NOT SELL for at least 2-5 years (i.e. residency), I would absolutely gobble those houses up. Not only should you go for a reasonable price, you should play hardball because these people really want to/need to sell. Happy hunting!

I'm no econ guru, but from what I've read the subprime mess has a direct effect on the gigantic corporations like Citigroup and Countrywide and some others who have put a lot of their eggs into real estate and are taking humongous losses, and the aftereffects fudge up Wall Street quite a bit. I've read it affects the consumer price index, inflation, GDP, strength of the US Dollar, and some other things. And creditors are more "paranoid" about extending new credit (as well as being very sensitive/watchful to those who currently have credit with them) so that they don't have to accumulate more multi-billion dollar quarter losses.

I don't own a home either but from what I've read, the mistakes of others still have some effects on those who currently have nothing to do with a mortgage. I'll stop writing and defer to those who are way smarter in econ than I...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm no econ guru, but from what I've read the subprime mess has a direct effect on the gigantic corporations like Citigroup and Countrywide and some others who have put a lot of their eggs into real estate and are taking humongous losses, and the aftereffects fudge up Wall Street quite a bit. I've read it affects the consumer price index, inflation, GDP, strength of the US Dollar, and some other things. And creditors are more "paranoid" about extending new credit (as well as being very sensitive/watchful to those who currently have credit with them) so that they don't have to accumulate more multi-billion dollar quarter losses.

I don't own a home either but from what I've read, the mistakes of others still have some effects on those who currently have nothing to do with a mortgage. I'll stop writing and defer to those who are way smarter in econ than I...

Yep, it literally impacts each and everyone of us.

Thanks to the mistakes of the Fed, the lenders, borrowers and the home builders, each and everyone us of now have to deal with the ramifications.

A few things you alluded to hit the nail on the head:
- lending standards have changed dramatically now (they should have never been so loose in the first place) and banks are now charging more a premium on their loans (in order to make up for previous losses and prevent a recurrence of the credit crisis)
- the US dollar continues to weaken and has fallen off dramatically since the Fed started cutting rates again back during the summer. Since all commodities are paired to the US Dollar, as the Dollar goes down in value the price of oil (been to the gas pump lately?), gold, wheat, corn, metals/steel, etc etc all continue to go up in price. In essence everyone of those dollars you have or make are now worth less in value.
- In addition, even if you don't have a subprime loan, or don't even own a home.. now that people are having to foreclose on their homes and more people will be renting, the prices of rent now have to catch up in ratio to the property values.
- Now that housing prices have shot up so much over the last few years (beyond what job growth or population demands can support), essentially every price from that point on below the peak will look "cheap" to a lot of people. In essence, a lot of people will be trying to buy houses with falling values and not even realize it.
- While the Fed is indeed lowering interest rates, that doesn't necessarily mean rates that you are able to get a loan at will go down as dramatically as people expect (goes back to point #1)
- I don't know if you have any student loans, but again, lending rates come into play here. While the Banks/lenders involved in the subprime mess are hurting, Sallie Mae isn't doing that much better. Some of those people getting subprime loans were coming out of college/grad school/etc or have had long standing student loans. Sallie Mae is having to deal with defaults on those loans as well.
- Housing and Consumer spending make up large chunks of GDP. Those sectors are slowing. If they slow enough that means we could possibly have a recession (negative growth/GDP --> less jobs are created, people are laid off, see less wage growth, etc --> =stress). Even if you want to put that into medical terms... stress usually brings about illness more often, especially mental illness.
- Last but not least, the rich have gotten far richer. All those high level employees at the bigger banks have made a killing of this mess. Their bonuses in recent years have been absurd. They basically made poor decisions, took advantage of giving people loans who had no business getting loans in the first place, and ramped up profits as a result. Now when it comes time to taking the fall for it, these companies can just write down the losses while the little guy is hurting.

My wife and I both have upper 700 credit scores, the only loans I have are subsidized (right now at least), and I"m paying more in rent than friends I know are paying in mortage+insurance+property tax for about the same amount of space. If I plan to stay here at least until 2011 when I graduate, should I start shopping around in the spring for a 30 yr fixed and a house I can actually afford to live in and still be able to eat/clothe myself/buy gas/buy dog food?

on another note, have any of you ever heard of NACA. Its like a non profit organization that offers low rate mortages to people. You have to attend a few seminars in order to qualify, but one couple I know used it to get into their house. 4.5% fixed with decent credit and no down payment.

My wife and I both have upper 700 credit scores, the only loans I have are subsidized (right now at least), and I"m paying more in rent than friends I know are paying in mortage+insurance+property tax for about the same amount of space. If I plan to stay here at least until 2011 when I graduate, should I start shopping around in the spring for a 30 yr fixed and a house I can actually afford to live in and still be able to eat/clothe myself/buy gas/buy dog food?

on another note, have any of you ever heard of NACA. Its like a non profit organization that offers low rate mortages to people. You have to attend a few seminars in order to qualify, but one couple I know used it to get into their house. 4.5% fixed with decent credit and no down payment.

We didn't use NACA, but our credit union had similar rates for first time home buyers that worked out very well. The questions you and your wife need to talk about:

1) who will fix stuff if it breaks around the house and you have a test the next day. Can you or your wife take time off to meet the plumber the next day?

2) consider the scenario if home prices do not increase by the time you sell. 2011 isn't considered a long term property hold period. It is enough so that you won't have to pay cap gains on it, which is good. But make sure you're certain with the risk involved incase property prices stay constant in this relatively short time frame or worsen (unlikely, IMHO, but I have no crystal ball).

3) There are tax advantages to owning a home. Sounds like some time with excel and messing around w/#'s will give you an good idea of where things might fall.

4) IMHO, I give the current housing market (for those buying for > 5yrs) a buy rating, and those for 3-4 yrs a cautious buy.

5) Depending on how much "upper" your 700+ scores are will vary the terms of the loan you get. Not sure if NACA uses the same tiers as other lending institutions, but there may be a difference in terms for borrowers who are say 700 versus 760 and above. Though for the most part, if you're north of 700 you should be okay.

Hope this helped.

:luck: