What Does This Mean??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scooter31

'Ello Guv'nah!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I get a letter from U of MN SOM, from their minority affairs department, inviting me to aplly to their school for this coming year. Has anyone else been given one of these letters? What does it entail? I've never heard of a school, especially one that isn't your home state school, extend anything in your direction, unless you have been doggedly pursuing them for quite some time. Just curious about this, and oh yeah, it's interesting because I'm not what you would consider a minority. What gives? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I've gotten application forms from schools I had no intention of applying to, but I've never gotten anything from the Minority Affairs Office. Still, I'd guess that it's nothing, but you might want to call just to check. But I'm sure it's no guaranteed admissions, though!

when you signed up for the MCAT did you choose the option to send your personal information (i.e. your answers to the questionairre part) to schools? if you did, that is probably why you are receiving stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds to me like they're hurting for minorities. They probably get some kind of government kickback from having a certain percentage of minorities in their osteopathic class. I'm too cynical to think that they're doing it for altruistic reasons.

As far as getting your name despite your lack of ethnicity...Hmmmmm....did you ever apply for anything as a "disadvantaged" student or something like that?? Any clubs or organizations?

For me when I took the MCAT I registered as a URM. So, a few months later I started receiving pamphlets and letters inviting me to apply from a number of schools. Including Wash U, Harvard, MCPHU, Dartmouth and a few others I can't remember. I'm a California resident and none of these schools are in my home state. It didn't pan out much considering that I applied to MCPHU and Dartmouth and a few others I got letters from but was rejected from all of them PRE-INTERVIEW. I think it was just a way for them to lure other applicants to send them money. Go figure!!!

Thanks guys for the input. I did put down "other" on my MCAT ethnicity poll thingy, so I bet that's what it's from. And now that I think of it, I've been getting a buttload of DPM and ND pamphlets recently... it all makes sense now... word.