What does this really mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Optman87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Admissions Committee of the Illinois College of Optometry has completed an initial review of your application. While portions of your application are considered positive, the Committee is still in need of additional information before making a decision in regards to an admissions interview.

The Admissions Committee will conduct a second review of your file at the end of FEBRUARY.

**So I assume this is better than a rejection but obviously not as good as an acceptance. Realistically what are the chances I get accepted?

Will they really not look at it all until February? It seems kind of late....

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A couple other people on this site have gotten similar emails. Unfortunately it is what it is. Just make sure you kill this semester, get an additional LOR, some more volunteer work, and send these in before February. They should take into account improvements and they will like that you have made an effort to improve your situation.

Goodluck!

BTW if you dont mind...will you post your stats, when you turned in your application, and when you recieved the email? I sent my app about 1.5 weeks ago and I am anxiously awaiting a reply!

Last edited:
Are you missing something in your application?

Just an FYI.

Last year, I interviewed with ICO April 4th. I didn't apply until the end of January.
Don't stress too much right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes i got this last year. it means unless you have something great to prove to them within this period you will be rejected. g'luck

yes i got this last year. it means unless you have something great to prove to them within this period you will be rejected. g'luck

So why not just send you a rejection then?

Because they might want to look at your this semester's transcript if you are currently in school...If you get A's in any other science classes, it might help.

The Admissions Committee of the Illinois College of Optometry has completed an initial review of your application. While portions of your application are considered positive, the Committee is still in need of additional information before making a decision in regards to an admissions interview.

The Admissions Committee will conduct a second review of your file at the end of FEBRUARY.

**So I assume this is better than a rejection but obviously not as good as an acceptance. Realistically what are the chances I get accepted?

Will they really not look at it all until February? It seems kind of late....

Thanks!

Was your application complete? I got the same letter but I thought it was because they didn't have my OAT score...

In my case, I was told to just update them with this semester's transcript.

So why not just send you a rejection then?

I think they don't want to send a rejection because the applicant isn't "bad" enough to be rejected, but they might not be as competitive as the other applicants so far. A flat out rejection would mean that they won't even consider this applicant if they still have seats to fill at the end of the application cycle.

I feel like the letter is actually kind of a nice gesture on behalf of the admissions. They know we're all frantically waiting to hear back news... and it's better to send you SOMETHING to let you know to step up your game, instead of just letting you sit there and wait until they're done reviewing applications and send you a rejection in April. They're giving you a chance to prove yourself. No, it's not great news... BUT, just do what the above posters have said and prove to them how bad you want it.

You could consider calling them to ask about specific weaknesses they saw with your application.

I might be in the same situation because I still haven't heard back from ICO and its been about two months...However, I don't want them considering my fall grades into inviting me for an interview because after I got accepted at SCO and IU, I haven't really been putting too much effort in my classes and I don't see these grades affecting my GPA that much either because of all the credits that have accumulated. Also, none of these classes are pre-reqs.

What else do they want to see improve if your fall grades aren't going to change your gpa much?