What drugs cover ESBL?

Started by nnguyenc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nnguyenc

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i want to start learning anti-biotics ahead of time
b/c i've heard so many stores about infectious disease


i'm getting all sorts of lists when searching for it

so does anyone have a good list that shows which
drugs are used in ESBL?

thanks
 
per 2008 sanford (buy it; it's less than $20)
E coli/Klebsiella ESBL +

usually clinically effective or susceptible > 60%

Gent tobra Amikacin Tigecycline
carbapenems
aztreonam
all fq's
colistin

ESBL K pneumo-use imipenem or meropenem
if carbapenem resistant use colistin
 
Last edited:
FQ resistance also can come with ESBL via plasmids.

Carbapenems are 1st line.

If it's (the rare) gram positive, vanco is an option.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
and ditto on buying Sanford. I think it's about $13.

Mine is already falling apart, 3 months into rotations.
 
1st line is a carbapenem (but not ertapenem b/c it sucks).

get the book...keep it in your pocket...it's awesome.
 
i want to start learning anti-biotics ahead of time
b/c i've heard so many stores about infectious disease


i'm getting all sorts of lists when searching for it

so does anyone have a good list that shows which
drugs are used in ESBL?

thanks

Start reading IDSA guidelines to get a better perspective on Infectious Disease treatment. Sanford guide is a reference but won't teach you disease managment.

I thought Sanford himself once said Diabetic Foot should be referred to as "Imipenem Deficiency." If indeed it's true, then he was paid by Merck. That makes him "Biased" and I won't subscribe to his gospel.
 
Start reading IDSA guidelines to get a better perspective on Infectious Disease treatment. Sanford guide is a reference but won't teach you disease managment.

I thought Sanford himself once said Diabetic Foot should be referred to as "Imipenem Deficiency." If indeed it's true, then he was paid by Merck. That makes him "Biased" and I won't subscribe to his gospel.

Man, I have been waiting for you to chime in on this topic before I went and shattered everyone's dreams about just how great the imipenem....errr, Sanford guide is. First day of my new program, there was a new imipenem guide on all of our desks (conveniently bunched with the package inserts for caspofungin, imipenem/cilastatin, and fosaprepitant; you know, as a welcome present from our Merck representative). Everyone got excited and tossed them in their lab coats; I immediately tossed mine in the trash. They were all perplexed. I informed them that I did not need a guide to tell me how to recommend/order imipenem/cilastatin for every indication under the sun. This made for great first impressions.

In fact, I rarely can think of any setting PERIOD that I would recommend imipenem/cilastatin (rare occasion = cefepime insensitive acinetobacter, but even then I am not completely sold).
 
Man, I have been waiting for you to chime in on this topic before I went and shattered everyone's dreams about just how great the imipenem....errr, Sanford guide is. First day of my new program, there was a new imipenem guide on all of our desks (conveniently bunched with the package inserts for caspofungin, imipenem/cilastatin, and fosaprepitant; you know, as a welcome present from our Merck representative). Everyone got excited and tossed them in their lab coats; I immediately tossed mine in the trash. They were all perplexed. I informed them that I did not need a guide to tell me how to recommend/order imipenem/cilastatin for every indication under the sun. This made for great first impressions.

In fact, I rarely can think of any setting PERIOD that I would recommend imipenem/cilastatin (rare occasion = cefepime insensitive acinetobacter, but even then I am not completely sold).

Dood... I drove by your D&B. That place was packed!!!! Instead stopping... I kept on going and found me a driving range!
 
You want to learn Infectious Disease? Start here. Yeah..those quick reference guides that fit in your pocket is aight... but do the right thing. Read the guidelines recommended by the experts... not just Sanford. His publication is becoming more and more $ biased. IDSA guidelines aren't free from Pharma influence... but what options do we have.

http://www.idsociety.org/Content.aspx?id=9088
 
You want to learn Infectious Disease? Start here. Yeah..those quick reference guides that fit in your pocket is aight... but do the right thing. Read the guidelines recommended by the experts... not just Sanford. His publication is becoming more and more $ biased. IDSA guidelines aren't free from Pharma influence... but what options do we have.

http://www.idsociety.org/Content.aspx?id=9088

I am just waiting for SIDP/ASHP/IDSA to figure out how to publish the vancomycin guidelines, rather than keep pushing them back season after season. However, they do this with every effing guideline they put out.