What EHR system are people in private practice using?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blessed.pod

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Office Ally? Epic? Cerna?

Members don't see this ad.

Microsoft Notepad
you're trolling but i did see this in real life. I went to visit West Covina(no longer a residency program) in California and they were literally taking notes on Word Doc at the director's private practice lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Same question from a month or two ago... a few replies here:

Practice Fusion

So - fun story. I just had to let my office manager go. Called Athena. Removed my office manager's access. They wanted me to add myself as a *Star Super User etc to make sure I had access to everything. Followed their instructions to the letter and now I'm locked out of everything. Trying to add everything back on as we speak so I can write notes.

eClinicalWorks. It's decent. Too click heavy for my personal preference but it's relatively user friendly.

Athena. In terms of the clinical stuff I like it.
I found Athena to be the worst of all the systems.

Plus we lost something like ~10% of our annual income across the entire MSG clinic compared to the prior years (and this was precovid. Like 2018 switched to athena). Their autocapture billing misses a lot of stuff apparently. At least that was the discussion at the round table years ago. CFO blamed Athena because our numbers were stable and if anything increased encounters a few percent.

But dont listen to me because Im also not a fan of Epic.

I also really like Cerner.

So clearly I have no idea what im talking about lol

Also im not private and never have been so ill shut up.

...But I still hate Athena...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
As in other thread on this, I do Kareo (Tebra now)... pretty good, fair cost $599/mo (more like $800+ with statements), none are perfect. I can make most of my notes 1 page (2 max), and they look clean and good to send to PCPs or when pts request.

At the end of the day, it's really good on coding/billing interface; biller likes it to send statements, take portal pays, generate receipts, etc. Front desk likes its simplicity for appts and blocks and move/cancel, very little lag, sends appt reminders and can send and get pt messages. We get virtually zero no-shows (a few same day cxl... that we can typically fill in with wait-listed ppls).

^^^That 3-prong success is what it's really about imo (basic visit record by doc... that can translate into codes and into payer reimburse... based on good schedule and pt reminders). It's a harmony between EMR and scheduling and billing.

If we just focus on the doc notes part (not the billing or schedule interface), we're missing the big picture - at least for PP.

eCW might be better now, but it was super lag-filled when I used it years ago and it makes long repetitive notes. That really adds up throughout the day. It's terrible when it freezes or lags when you're trying to make an appt with a phone call pt. None are perfect.

I use Athena for PP - the reason I chose this system was mostly recommendations from podiatrists who I KNEW were successful, and also many software developers confirmed that Athena was one of the most easy to work with as a third party when it comes to open-source/coding integration.

It's pricey, and it's definitely hard to use but I think it's worth it if you invest the time to learn it. Also, Athena is geared towards larger or multispecialty practices so that definitely can be frustrating.