What elective clerkship should I do?

Started by Dot12345
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dot12345

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a 2nd year student and need to schedule my one elective for 3rd year. I can only do 3 rotations in Pediatrics during my 3rd and 4th years so I will save my elective pediatric rotations for 4th year audition rotations.

Any recommendations on what elective I should do OUTSIDE of pediatrics that will make me a stronger student/candidate?

Thank you for your help!
 
I did an adult oncology elective and found it extremely helpful, gave me the opportunity to stand out as it was small team, and I learned a ton-- pretty sick patients, most who were just really unlucky and took solace in having a med stud who would listen to their whole story-- will you have done internal medicine by then? This helps. But not a dealbreaker.
 
I am a 2nd year student and need to schedule my one elective for 3rd year. I can only do 3 rotations in Pediatrics during my 3rd and 4th years so I will save my elective pediatric rotations for 4th year audition rotations. Any recommendations on what elective I should do OUTSIDE of pediatrics that will make me a stronger student/candidate?
If your school offers an elective in anesthesia, I would consider that. One of the "knocks" on peds (and med school in general) is that students don't have the opportunity to do many procedures at most schools (IVs, intubation, LPs, venipunctures, etc.). An anesthesia elective might provide such opportunities, not to mention a chance to review a lot of physiology and pharmacology. And the more skilled (and appropriately confident) you are in doing procedures, the "stronger" student (and resident) you will be.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad