What Else Can I Do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TMS@1987

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophmore in college with hopes of going on for a PhD in clinical psychology. My overall GPA is a 3.36 (which I know is not that great, but I plan on bringing it up), I just made the Deans List (my GPA for last semester was a 3.80), and I have been volunteering for a non-profit organization providing grief counseling to families as well as at the dementia wing of a nursing home. I have sent emails to professors at other colleges to try and find research opportunities, but they haven't replied yet.

my question is: what else can I do to make myself more appealling? I have a 4.0 psychology GPA, but I get the feeling likes my efforts aren't good enough. what should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Research. Research. Research. Find a way, it can be outside of your university, someone else has a thread about how to find research opportunities if you are at a small liberal arts school that doesn't have any opportunities. High GRE scores will help too. All easier said than done eh? :p

Also, get to know a few professors and your advisor very well. Take courses with them, go to their office hours, etc. Great letters of recommendation are a huge asset in the application process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll echo what the others have said in terms of research. Try to get as much research experience as you can. Also, if possible, do a senior thesis study.

Letters of recommendation mean something when you work WITH a professor, instead of just taking some classes. Get involved, do research, volunteer, TA, etc. Clinical students need to go above and beyond to put themselves in a position to be competitive.

Letters of recommendation mean something when you work WITH a professor, instead of just taking some classes. Get involved, do research, volunteer, TA, etc. Clinical students need to go above and beyond to put themselves in a position to be competitive.

Yes, I agree. When I said to get to know them "very well," I didn't mean to just take a course, get an A, and expect a great letter.

how do you suggest i go about finding research experience? i have sent 2 emails out to professors close to my home, and i have called up and left voice msgs at 2 major hospitals in my are. what else do you think i should do?

how do you suggest i go about finding research experience? i have sent 2 emails out to professors close to my home, and i have called up and left voice msgs at 2 major hospitals in my are. what else do you think i should do?

Contact more people and/or follow-up. People are busy, so give them at least a week, if not two.