What else could I be doing as an MS2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idkididk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came into medical school shooting for Ophtho, because of my previous work experience as an ophtho tech. Unfortunately the ophtho department at my school did not have any clinical research when I started, so I spent my summer between MS1-MS2 setting up a project. I did not receive IRB approval until beginning of July, and did not start collecting data until August. So now I'm slowly chugging along at the project (prospective), but am not sure if I will be able to complete it by the time I apply. As an aside, I've built a good relationship with the Chair of the department, who is also new to my school. I'm also the president of the ophtho club, of which the Chair is the advisor.

Besides the obvious like doing well on Step and 3rd year rotations, what else could I be doing to boost my chances? Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Make friends with a resident and work on one of their projects as a lesser author.