What else is there to improve upon?

Started by lulubell
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lulubell

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone -- I was hoping some of you could look at my 'stats' and let me know what you think I could improve upon. I'd really appreciate an objective viewpoint. This post is kind of long, so please bear with me. Here's what I have under my belt so far:

UG GPA (after post-bacc classes): 3.51 BCPM, 3.55 Overall (this is assuming I calculated my GPA correctly using AMCAS Grade conversion guide.. was kind of difficult since my classes were taken at about 6 different schools all with different grading systems.. going to go over it again, but I really hope it's correct). Planning on taking an English composition and a Chemistry night class still so the GPA may go up just another smidgen.
Pharmacy school GPA (currently still attending so this could change): 3.82, am in the top 15% of my class at the moment.
MCAT: N/A (registered to take it this summer *crosses fingers*)
Research:
  • one clinical research project on HTN in ICU patients -- most of my work consisted of interviewing patients at the hospital to obtain data over a 3 month period of time.
  • Also did about 7 months of lab work (mainly tissue dissections) for research in undergrad.. but undergrad was about 6 years ago.
Volunteer experience:
- Humane society for about 1.5 years now
- Worked with a patient education committee in pharmacy school where I went to underserved communities to educate them about diabetes - 1 year
- Tutor for abused children - 1 year
- Going to Costa Rica this coming December for about 2 weeks (already scheduled). Will be able to work in rural areas in a team of 8 directly trained/supervised by an MD to triage patients, recommend treatment, change bandages, etc.
- Shadowing: so far only about 30 hours of recent shadowing time completed with an anesthesiologist. I've been accepted into a volunteer program that starts in September where I can obtain an additional 200 hours of shadowing experience over the course of a year.
- About 100 hours of general hospital volunteering, you know the usual: helping the nurses, answering phones, running around delivering meds to different departments, etc. This was also completed in undergrad, so about 6 years ago.
- Other misc volunteering for health fairs where I screened patients for diabetes, HTN, hyperlipidemia, etc. and counseled them on use of medications

Other random stuff:
- Play piano for about 10 years
- Taught beginning improv acting classes for about 1 year in between UG and pharm school. I was heavily involved in acting in UG.
- Taking beginning horseback riding lessons for the last 3 months now (something I've always wanted to do)
- Dance choreographer for my old high school -- not something I do on a regular basis but I get called in maybe once or twice a year to help the cheerleading team prepare for competitions.

Work experience:
- I currently work about 15 hours/week in an outpatient hospital pharmacy. Have been there about a year now and am planning on continuing to work there until I graduate from pharm school. Not sure if this would count as "patient contact" experience? Although I have to say I get plenty of face-to-face time with patients (unfortunately) -- mostly involves patients screaming at me. :laugh: I think only people that have worked at a pharmacy can understand this.. but my work there consists of consulting patients on the use of their meds as well as calling doctors, making rx compounds, etc.


I have about one more year before applying to med schools next summer. What would be the best use of my time until then? The PI on my HTN research case may have another project for me to work on this summer (here's hoping) so the research part of my application may be bolstered a bit. But I feel like I have my hands in a lot of different places trying to grab a bit of experience here, take an extra class there, and I might be stretched too thin since this is all going on while I'm trying to keep my pharmacy grades up -- what weaknesses in my application should I really focus on? Most of my hospital volunteering experience is going to come purely from time shadowing doctors. Should I do something else, like hospice or would purely shadowing be enough?

Thanks for any advice anyone can give.
 
Really focus on the MCAT...I just got the new MSAR in the mail, and the statistics are sobering - your grades are OK, but below the national median (and therefore someone with your grades has a less than 50 percent chance)...you can offset that with better than avg MCAT scores...
 
Really focus on the MCAT...I just got the new MSAR in the mail, and the statistics are sobering - your grades are OK, but below the national median (and therefore someone with your grades has a less than 50 percent chance)...you can offset that with better than avg MCAT scores...

Yeah I'm definitely going to try to give the MCAT my best shot. I'll be working about 10-15 hours a week and maybe doing a tiny bit of volunteer work here and there, but the majority of my time between June-August will be spent studying.

And I know the UG GPA is just "OK" 🙁 I kind of screwed myself over since I was a science major in UG and took a lot of classes while I was there.. so there's really no other science classes I can take as an extension student without obviously looking like I'm just trying to boost my GPA (ie: taking classes I've already taken and passed, or taking things like "Introduction to Planets" or "Botany 1")
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmm.. so everything else in my profile (aside from getting a strong MCAT score and a good PS) seems okay? I have enough clinical experience? Varied enough extracurriculars? etc? Just feels like I still haven't done enough.. maybe I should go learn to speak 3 more languages and play the banjo while simultaneously performing surgery.. lol, at least that's what it feels like I need in order to get into med school these days. I'm a CA resident too. 😛 Bleh.
 
Just wondering why you want to go to medical school right after pharmacy school. Why didnt you just apply directly to med school after you finished undergrad?
 
Just wondering why you want to go to medical school right after pharmacy school. Why didnt you just apply directly to med school after you finished undergrad?

Med school was the original goal while I was in UG. Due to a large variety of personal problems, I obtained a 3.3-ish GPA and basically thought I was out of the running. I didn't know about SDN back then (would've saved me a lot of trouble) and just from talking to med-school applicant friends and my pre-med advisor, the basic consensus was that I had better just try to find another career. I was pretty devastated.. ended up working for about 3 years in an accounting job after UG before deciding on pharmacy school as a career.. figured it was a good alternative. Pharm school isn't bad, but it's just not medicine.. I started getting acquainted with some of the med school students on the same campus and met a non-trad there.. got to talking and he pretty much let me know that I could still do 'damage control'. Why nobody told me about this 5 years ago is a mystery to me.. anyways, I got more educated, found SDN, started taking post-bacc night classes in addition to pharmacy school to bring up my GPA.. which pretty much brings me to where I'm at now.

Still trying to figure out what parts of my application need additional work though.. my GPA isn't stellar so I'm trying to strengthen everything else. Nobody's really responded though, so I'm assuming I'm doing OK and wouldn't necessarily need more volunteer experience?
 
Hmm.. so everything else in my profile (aside from getting a strong MCAT score and a good PS) seems okay? I have enough clinical experience? Varied enough extracurriculars? etc? Just feels like I still haven't done enough.. maybe I should go learn to speak 3 more languages and play the banjo while simultaneously performing surgery.. lol, at least that's what it feels like I need in order to get into med school these days. I'm a CA resident too. 😛 Bleh.

I concur with the advice above about rocking the MCAT and being able to explain your change from pharm to med. Everything else looks solid.

Same old advice follows: apply EARLY and broadly, when the time comes.

Good luck with your process. Keep us updated.
 
I concur with the advice above about rocking the MCAT and being able to explain your change from pharm to med. Everything else looks solid.

Same old advice follows: apply EARLY and broadly, when the time comes.

Good luck with your process. Keep us updated.

Thanks spicedmanna 🙂 I've been lurking for awhile and your name is pretty well recognized. Knowing that the rest of my application looks decent is a load off my mind, so your input is much appreciated.