what else is there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anwang

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been wondering about grad school. I am a psych major of course but if I don't do psychology are there other things I can do with a degree in psychology ? Also, with B.A. is psych can I apply to any other type of graduate level programs other than one in psychology (neuroscince for example...) ?

Members don't see this ad.

anwang said:
I have been wondering about grad school. I am a psych major of course but if I don't do psychology are there other things I can do with a degree in psychology ? Also, with B.A. is psych can I apply to any other type of graduate level programs other than one in psychology (neuroscince for example...) ?

Take this with a grain of salt since I am in your shoes, but you may want to think long and hard about graduate school if you are asking yourself these questions. First of all, yes, you can apply to different focuses in psychology with your BA in psych. However, I think you should be careful because this is a huge decision, one that may impact the next 7 years of your life (at least), and you want to be sure that you are going where you want to be and doing what you want to do!

It may be worthwhile for you to take some time, read some research, and try to find out where your passion is (or at least get a better idea) so that you can hopefully enter this process knowing about where you want to be and what you want to do. That is just my opinion, you can run with it or not, but just be sure to make sure that this is what you really want to do because it is a big commitment!

As for the ability to do other things, I would say that a BA in psych is much like any other BA in the liberal arts. It isn't very specialized, but that means it isn't going to pigeon hoole you. If you want to remain in the field though, you will most likely need to pursue some more education. Unfortunately or not, this field allows for little upward mobility without returning to school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd agree w/ Psyclops. Having a BA in psych doesn't leave you especially trained for anything, but it's a good liberal arts background. I knew psych majors who went into nonprofit work, education, Human Resources (HR), consulting of various sorts, marketing, various office/business type stuff. Basically, you start in at the ground level in the field you choose, and work your way up. Overall, psych is a good background degree to have; that's why it's one of the most popular majors.

In those surveys that come out in Money Magazine about starting salaries for people with X major, psychology is usually the lowest salary. But psychology majors do lots of things; a friend has a great job out of undergrad with a jury consulting firm, while another is a fairly big term person for a financial services firm.

The problem with those money magazine surveys is that they overlook the base rates. Psychology is the most popular bachelor's degree out there. Hence, you are going to find salaries that are the average. Psych majors run the gamut.