What else should I be doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jct

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a really old non-trad. I'll be 40 when i start my applications. I have a BA, 3.71 gpa. I started a BS full-time this fall in molecular bio. I currently have straight -A's in Bio, Chem and Pre-calc, and at this point, besides failing an exam or getting a 100, nothing is going to change that for the semester. So I think I should be good, grade wise. I actually have discovered a strange love of chemistry I never knew lurked below the surface of this English major.

Anywho, I also should say that I have 3 elementary school aged kids and I mom when I'm not in class, so it's not like I have an abundance of time on my hands. Given all that, to maximize my additional activities, what should I be doing to make myself an attractive candidate. I live in RI, so the only in-state school is Brown, of course I will apply there, but I need to also be a compelling OOS candidate because I'm only realistic on the Brown front.

Yes, I considered not going to medical school, I considered that long and hard for about the last 20 years until it just wasn't an option any more. I will also apply to DO, and if neither of those work out, my very very last option will be PA school, but it's not really one I like to think about it.

Thanks so much for your input!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for your response!
1) no way I'm doing derm, not my thing at all :), I'm planning on family medicine and considering psychiatry, but dermatology sounds like a lower level of hell to me. But I've done all kinds of things in my life, from parenting a baby with reflux (who therefore did not sleep ever) to working in manual labor. So I'm not all that concerned about the intensity of residency. I know it will be hard, but I also know I have the stamina for it.

2) I am in the first semester. I was totally overwhelmed and worried going in, having never taken such a full load of math and science before, but now that I have A's and 2 of my classes have the highest failure rates at my school, I feel ready for the marathon. In some ways, this will be my hardest semester; it's been 20 years since I did any science.

3) What should I be doing for volunteering? I don't think I have this covered.

4) please explain what you mean about questions. I've only looked at the MCAT enough to know I'm not currently ready!!

5) I'll look into what research is going on at my school. I'm really interested in microbiology, so maybe there's something in that area.

Thanks for the input!

So you're getting your undergrad degree then, not doing a post bacc right? So you still have around 3 and a half years left before you go to med school. If you're still that far off, take the first year to adjust yourself and make really good grades.

I personally volunteer at my local hospital, but as long as you have patient exposure in your choice of volunteering, that's what med schools are looking for. Also, shadowing docs to see what med practice is like up close.

Don't worry about the MCAT at all at this point.

I'm over 40 and also have 3 young children. There are quite a few of us here. Welcome!

No, since I already have a BA, I'm doing a BS in 2 years. I only have my major requirements to complete because all the credits from my BA fill all gen-ed and elective requirements. In terms of what I needed to take, it didn't require any more semesters than a post-bacc would because of the 4 semesters of chemistry. In terms of course work, of course it is more, but with the advantage of demonstrating that I can handle a full-time load of science courses.