What else should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RoadRunner17

Fleet of feet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a reapplicant from the 2006-07 cycle who will be applying in this coming cycle, the 2008-09 cycle. Applied to about 22 MD schools, complete by September, had one interview and rejection from Georgetown. What's changed since then?

I completed my senior year in undergrad and a post-bac year at Penn. So, my AMCAS GPA's gone up from 3.15/3.09 at the time of application (I didn't realize it would be this terrible until I got my application verified) to 3.36/3.33 with my senior year and post-bac year (4.0's on 24 science credits in my post-bac year). I retook the MCAT and improved 4 points from a 31S (10P, 11V, 10B) to a 35S (12P, 12V, 11B).

On the research side, I've been working on an "invention" with my professor and a co-worker, and presented a poster at a design symposium at my undergrad. We should be applying for a patent this year, possibly depending on whether or not I can get back and work on it for a few more weeks after classes are over.

On the EC side, I continued to volunteer in the same capacities during that application year up to graduation and this year, I added a semester working 10 hours a week in the emergency department with a lot of patient and physician contact, for a clinical research class at Penn.

I had two of my old undergrad letters updated to add in my senior year activity (one for research, one for volunteering). I will probably keep the old letter from my advisor and professor of two classes I took, plus my non-science class letter writer. Nothing's changed with them, so I won't have them update it. Also, I will get two new letters from Penn professors (Microbiology professor, and the MD who teaches the clinical research class).

Will be writing a brand-new personal statement as well (currently under progress). Will be submitting the AMCAS on the first possible day, and the committee letter should be done by mid-July, so I'm hoping to be complete at schools by the end of July.

Now, the question is: what else do I need to do? Would it be recommended that I consider taking a SMP while I apply? I am thinking that would be a waste of money, but then I want to be 100% sure that I do everything I can to get an acceptance.. Or should I just find a job, perhaps a research tech job at my old undergrad school and go from there... possibly take discounted classes to keep augmenting my grades? To be honest, I'm not sure what else I can do. At this point, I feel like my application is completely different from the first time, but I don't know how much better my chances are as my GPA is still marginal. I could always take another year before I apply to get my GPA's up to 3.5, but I don't think that's realistic. Is there anything else that I am forgetting with this reapplication?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, you've done a lot to improve your app - congrats! Your GPA is more competitive and your MCAT is great! :thumbup:

Your GPA may be a little high for an SMP program; do you have enough clinical experience/volunteering/shadowing on your app?

Thanks for the kind comments Blade. I would say I have a good amount of volunteering/shadowing on my app (I have a little bit more detail on my MDapps link); i.e. a few hundred hours of volunteering each in different organizations, and having spent more than 25+ hours shadowing physicians and observing procedures and such.. not counting this semester where I've been working in the HUP ED and following residents around when I'm not busy.

A lot of the clinical experiences I've gotten from volunteering in a clinic for the underserved as well as working in the emergency department. So I say there is a good amount of clinical exposure... in the coming year, I'm not sure what else I can do in terms of clinical exposure because I expect to be working in a lab. I will probably continue to volunteer in some capacity (mostly because I like it), but I'm not sure about clinical exposure.

Again, thanks for the comments Blade... I appreciate it. Anyone have any other thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be recommended that I consider taking a SMP while I apply? I am thinking that would be a waste of money, but then I want to be 100% sure that I do everything I can to get an acceptance

Well, this is up to you. I think you have a pretty competitive application, and SMPs are huge money sinks that also carry the risk of screwing your application if you do badly in them. That being said, if you DID do well in an SMP your chances go from ´very good´to ´sure fit´. I wouldn´t want the risk or the cost, pesonally, but you definitely could do it.

Personally I might try a few more UGrad classes to lift your overall above 3.4, though. The consensus on SDN (no idea how this correlates with reality) is that that is an unoffical cutoff for several schools. The difference between a 3.4 and a 3.5, on the other hand, is (according to the same SDN consensus) much less.

Well, this is up to you. I think you have a pretty competitive application, and SMPs are huge money sinks that also carry the risk of screwing your application if you do badly in them. That being said, if you DID do well in an SMP your chances go from ´very good´to ´sure fit´. I wouldn´t want the risk or the cost, pesonally, but you definitely could do it.

Personally I might try a few more UGrad classes to lift your overall above 3.4, though. The consensus on SDN (no idea how this correlates with reality) is that that is an unoffical cutoff for several schools. The difference between a 3.4 and a 3.5, on the other hand, is (according to the same SDN consensus) much less.

Well, the money part almost renders this moot because those things are huge money sinks. Plus, it sounds as if it essentially delays your application if you apply the same year as you do it... i.e. they wait to see your first semester grades. I just don't have the money to throw into a SMP anyway.

I wonder if getting my overall GPA up to a 3.4 over the summer (i.e. after I've submitted the primary app) will mean anything. I can always take the classes and make that happen... and in the event that I have to reapply next year, I'll be in a better spot with a 3.4, I suppose.

Thanks for the feedback fellas. The whole job search should come to a head soon... in the meantime I'll probably take a few more classes wherever I go (if its here or back at my old undergrad) to get my GPA up to a 3.4 over the summer if possible... it's a nice cutoff, and I've come this far, right?

If I take 4 more science classes at some point after this semester, perhaps over the summer and in the fall, and get A's in them, I'd push both my uGPA and BCPM GPA above 3.4. Would it be worth it to get in that extra push, and updating the schools after the fact?

Do these updates really make any difference to schools, or do they tend to focus on your verified AMCAS GPAs? If that's the case, I'd think seriously about just working part-time while getting the extra coursework done.. in the worst case, I'd be above the 3.4 mark (psychological or not) for a third time if necessary.

When you applied and got your one interview, was your MCAT at a 31 or a 35? If it was a 31, I think you are definitely in good shape now.

When you applied and got your one interview, was your MCAT at a 31 or a 35? If it was a 31, I think you are definitely in good shape now.

Yeah, I went up from a 31 to a 35. Thankfully... because if I went from a 35 to a 31, that would probably be a sucky outcome! ;)

Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

A quick reminder to apply early and WIDELY the next time 'round. I had average stats as a pre-med and still applied to around 30 schools.