Reapplicant having no luck. Not sure how else to approach my interviews.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kubyx

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my 3rd application cycle, 1st DO cycle. I was always a borderline MD applicant at best, and got zero II's my last app cycle. I meant to apply DO last cycle but never was able to get a DO letter in time and had no real exposure or 'story' to support a DO app.

I have a lot of deficiencies on my application:

3 MCATs (30, ~501, ~510). First score expired since I took it in 2013, second score.. not sure what the hell happened, I scored ~10 points below my practice test averages. Retook a few months later and bumped up 10ish points.

1st MCAT is from 2013 so DO schools know I'm not a new applicant.

Mediocre GPA (between 3.4-3.5 both c/sGPA)

I really thought my above-average MCAT score (for DO, at least) would stand out, even with 3 attempts. I thought my GPA would also be adequate. I have very solid EC's with work experience, many years of consistent volunteering, and well-rounded shadowing, though I am light in research and true leadership experience.

Applied to 10 DO schools, 5 IIs, 3 Rs, 2 silence. So far I've had 3 interviews with 3 WL's, 1 interview I'm awaiting the results of, 1 coming up. I thought with 5 II's I was all but guaranteed to get into one if I interviewed well, and here I am sitting on a 3rd WL in a row. Clearly I am doing something wrong, but I'm not sure if it's my interview or just a doomed application that is holding me back.

The thing that is frustrating me is that my interview game is the strongest part of my application. I believe I am well-spoken and generally confident/not nervous other than typical interview jitters. On my last interview, my interviewer quite literally told me I had "blown them away" and had answered their prompts better than any other candidate that month. I was walking on cloud 9 after that, only to get waitlisted two weeks later.

I'm just frustrated, confused, and dejected at this point. I have thought most of my interviews went well (Western immediately jumped on me for applying MD so I wasn't surprised at the WL there). Other than that, I guess I'm not sure how else to approach this last interview. I try and be enthusiastic on the interview, knowledgeable about the school, etc. I was very particular in my school selection and only applied places that I generally wanted to attend. And yet, I have not once been asked "why this school", "why a doctor", or any of those standard questions. I feel like no schools have really taken much of an opportunity to get to know me, so it's frustrating when I spend $500 to attend an interview, they tell us they already like us and that's why we're there, and then I get waitlisted after a solid interview. What else can/should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Which DO schools did you interview at?

Why not do a postbac to make yourself more competitive GPA wise? And I'm exactly like you man. 3 years of interviews, nothing but waitlists. Schools never flat out reject me but rather make me wait in limbo.
Also sometimes it has nothing to do with you. I'm just as frustrated but its the system. So many people are applying and we just get lost in a sea of applicants. I wish you and I were just lucky enough to get that one magic acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
3/5 rejections - rejections not WLs - implies major interviewing issues

Why not do a postbac to make yourself more competitive GPA wise? And I'm exactly like you man. 3 years of interviews, nothing but waitlists. Schools never flat out reject me but rather make me wait in limbo.
Also sometimes it has nothing to do with you. I'm just as frustrated but its the system. So many people are applying and we just get lost in a sea of applicants. I wish you and I were just lucky enough to get that one magic acceptance.

I would do a post bacc, but I'm older and support a family/mortgage with a full time job. I really don't know where I'd get the money, or more importantly time, to take on a rigorous course load to do that. My mcat also expires this year and I don't think not a 4th mcat will buy me any love. Best of luck to you as well.

Fairly certain that OP received those 3 R's pre-II. And had 3 WL post-II.

Yeah, 4 interviews so far have resulted in 3 wait-listed responses and 1 TBD. I'm open to the idea of my interviewing skills being the problem, but I'm a nontrad with 5+ years of real world experience that have really honed my interviewing skills. I really feel like they are solid, but clearly I am doing something wrong. I just don't know what else I can do when one school interviewer quite literally tells me I have done better than everyone else that month, tells me they could talk to me all day about my experiences in medicine... And then wait-lists me. What else do they want? A tap dance performance after the interview?

I would do a post bacc, but I'm older and support a family/mortgage with a full time job. I really don't know where I'd get the money, or more importantly time, to take on a rigorous course load to do that. My mcat also expires this year and I don't think not a 4th mcat will buy me any love. Best of luck to you as well.

Yeah, 4 interviews so far have resulted in 3 wait-listed responses and 1 TBD. I'm open to the idea of my interviewing skills being the problem, but I'm a nontrad with 5+ years of real world experience that have really honed my interviewing skills. I really feel like they are solid, but clearly I am doing something wrong. I just don't know what else I can do when one school interviewer quite literally tells me I have done better than everyone else that month, tells me they could talk to me all day about my experiences in medicine... And then wait-lists me. What else do they want? A tap dance performance after the interview?
Rememeber there is a formula that they use. I cant remember it but i believe it was Grade + GPA + interview Score + EC or whateever.

Feel the same way although i am very trad.

Rememeber there is a formula that they use. I cant remember it but i believe it was Grade + GPA + interview Score + EC or whateever.

Feel the same way although i am very trad.

They're not all the same. Some weigh the interview much more heavily than others, some weigh the MCAT above all.

They're not all the same. Some weigh the interview much more heavily than others, some weigh the MCAT above all.
oh i see, i would said that most value your gpa though. I know for fact that i have been killing my interview but no acceptance thus far.

What about your ECs? And have you had anyone outside of family/friends to look at your essays?

Which DO schools did you apply to? It is not too late to add more schools.

Westerns - interviews/WL's at both.
Marian - wait-listed
Kcu - pending results of interview
Lecom Erie - upcoming interview
Dmu - rejected pre-interview
Azcom - rejected pre-interview
Rvu-co - rejected pre-interview
Nyit - silence
Ccom - silence

I'm somewhat limited as to where I can apply as I have a family and SO that works, so many of these really small town places are off limits for me. Do you really think there is still time to apply to schools?

What about your ECs? And have you had anyone outside of family/friends to look at your essays?

Ec's are solid, above and beyond the average applicant/matriculants imo. Essays were all read by others, personal statement was read/critiqued by a physician who gave a lot of great input.

With 5 interviews you will probably eventually receive an acceptance but it may not be until May or June. Yes, you can still add schools so consider these:
ATSU-SOMA
UIWSOM
PCOM-Georgia
VCOM (all 3 schools)

Agree with PCOM-Georgia, also add ACOM, CUSOM in NC. I really liked campbell and will probably end up going there.

Some of the schools on your list have 70%+ post interview accept rates. Both Westerns and KCU are over 60%, some KCU classes have been over 80%. Your stats are not a problem at any of these.

I would reflect on interview skills.

Last edited:
I am a four-time re-applicant who was just accepted. Believe me when I say I feel you. Every re-applicant has their own mire to pull out of so, I'll spare you my own story. Right now there is nothing you can do about your written app, except get eyes on secondaries to additional schools. That part is done. Last year when I applied I made the mistake of emailing the dean of a school where I'd been wait-listed the prior year, being told a secondary essay resembled last year's, and pouring time into rewriting it in hopes of an interview. In reality I should've been preparing for interviews I did have.

Focus on LECOM-Erie. That is, right now, your best shot. The good news is Erie's interview is unlike any other. They are proud of PBL. As they have a group interview, I'd imagine they are looking for teamwork, communication skills, and professionalism. Research it heavily. Try and do a mock interview with a professional (HR, physician, or research mentor) if you can, just to get an assessment of whether or not you're doing anything off-putting.

With 5 interviews you will probably eventually receive an acceptance but it may not be until May or June. Yes, you can still add schools so consider these:
ATSU-SOMA
UIWSOM
PCOM-Georgia
VCOM (all 3 schools)

Agree with PCOM-Georgia, also add ACOM, CUSOM in NC. I really liked campbell and will probably end up going there.

Thanks, I'll be sending out the primary for those schools now.

Some of the schools on your list have 70%+ post interview accept rates. Both Westerns and KCU are over 60%, some KCU classes have been over 80%. Your stats are not a problem at any of these.

I would reflect on interview skills.

I haven't heard from KCU yet. Western... I had a bad feeling about. Both schools heavily questioned me immediately on applying to MD schools and definitely seemed to have a chip on their shoulder about it. I thought the interview on my end went fine, but both schools were somewhat negative to me from the moment I stepped into the room to interview.

OP may also have a bad LOR.

I suppose my LORs or essays could be the issue, but I knew all of my letter writers well and I would be pretty shocked if any one of them wrote a bad letter. I also thought my essays were well-written, and every single one of them was reviewed/critiqued by outside eyes. I just really have no idea.

Thanks, I'll be sending out the primary for those schools now.

I haven't heard from KCU yet. Western... I had a bad feeling about. Both schools heavily questioned me immediately on applying to MD schools and definitely seemed to have a chip on their shoulder about it. I thought the interview on my end went fine, but both schools were somewhat negative to me from the moment I stepped into the room to interview.

I suppose my LORs or essays could be the issue, but I knew all of my letter writers well and I would be pretty shocked if any one of them wrote a bad letter. I also thought my essays were well-written, and every single one of them was reviewed/critiqued by outside eyes. I just really have no idea.
Three interviews -> three wait-lists imply your interview skills need improvement.