What exactly constitutes "nontraditional"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

8YearsLate

Sub Canus lupus familiaris
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All,

How do you guys define "nontraditional," exactly? I identified this way when it was asked on applications, as I have a degree and work in non-sciences, started prereq's 8 years out of school, am a parent, and there's some "distance travelled" stuff that contributed a lot to my story/essays.

I see a lot of students identifying as non-traditional because they've taken a gap year or multiple, or because they majored in non-sciences but didn't work in that field. Do these things also qualify? I just want to know so I don't mislead anyone when giving feedback about how to fill out their apps, including a close friend of mine who is applying in 2021. Thanks for any input!
 
I personally think non traditional is someone who didn’t apply to medical school right out of college. I do not think taking one gap year counts as non traditional because lots of medical students take a gap year. Now I would say if you are more than a couple years out from college then you are non traditional. Career changers, parents, and older applicants definitely counts as non traditional in my book. Good luck!
 
I personally think non traditional is someone who didn’t apply to medical school right out of college. I do not think taking one gap year counts as non traditional because lots of medical students take a gap year. Now I would say if you are more than a couple years out from college then you are non traditional. Career changers, parents, and older applicants definitely counts as non traditional in my book. Good luck!
Pretty much this