What exactly constitutes "nontraditional"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8YearsLate

Sub Canus lupus familiaris
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

How do you guys define "nontraditional," exactly? I identified this way when it was asked on applications, as I have a degree and work in non-sciences, started prereq's 8 years out of school, am a parent, and there's some "distance travelled" stuff that contributed a lot to my story/essays.

I see a lot of students identifying as non-traditional because they've taken a gap year or multiple, or because they majored in non-sciences but didn't work in that field. Do these things also qualify? I just want to know so I don't mislead anyone when giving feedback about how to fill out their apps, including a close friend of mine who is applying in 2021. Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

I personally think non traditional is someone who didn’t apply to medical school right out of college. I do not think taking one gap year counts as non traditional because lots of medical students take a gap year. Now I would say if you are more than a couple years out from college then you are non traditional. Career changers, parents, and older applicants definitely counts as non traditional in my book. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I personally think non traditional is someone who didn’t apply to medical school right out of college. I do not think taking one gap year counts as non traditional because lots of medical students take a gap year. Now I would say if you are more than a couple years out from college then you are non traditional. Career changers, parents, and older applicants definitely counts as non traditional in my book. Good luck!
Pretty much this

Reactions: 1 users