What exactly do Physicians in the CIA do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rhorn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience or sources/interviews of Physicians that work in the CIA? The CIA website here Physician — Central Intelligence Agency doesn't really offer much in detail about the duties and job description.

There was an old thread here Cia back in 2007 that asked the same question and there wasn't much information available at that time also. In the thread there were conflicting answers; "Medical Officers (I'm assuming that's the job title for CIA Physician) are 'overt personnel' involved with treatment for covert operators". One said that physicians do mostly analyst work, and another said they do operational work. That sounds like too much of a cool-guy response to be true. What does overt and covert, even mean?
That post was in 2007

In 2014, when the news of CIA 'black sites' and the use of 'enhanced interrogation techniques' went public reports like this one from the Washington Times explicitly, states "CIA medical doctors (Im guessing medical officers are different?), as well as psychologists, were intimately involved in virtually every interrogation session to a far greater extent than was previously known" CIA report describes medical personnel’s intimate role in harsh interrogations
I didn't read the full 600 page report that was put on Wikileaks, but there are multiple articles that detail the role and a little bit of what was happening behind the scenes. 10 years ago it was 2007, if someone was a physician, I feel like more than likely they would have been affected by that policy change.

Im not here to chastise the CIA or create a political debate, I am only a pre-med student, and I am curious about jobs within the federal government that would be available to be as a physician, as I would like to continue to work in the federal government.

The only information that I could get was interviews about what it was like working for the CIA, by other jobs. Which detailed that the CIA is family friendly if you are not undercover, but you are subject to constant interviews about your life. Do physicians in the CIA do typical doctor stuff? (clinical setting) Or do they work within the operations branch (the typical 'spy stuff') of the CIA, or is it a bit of both? Obliviously there are extremes, as probably not every physician was involved in the interrogations, but what is their typical role?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience or sources/interviews of Physicians that work in the CIA? The CIA website here Physician — Central Intelligence Agency doesn't really offer much in detail about the duties and job description.

There was an old thread here Cia back in 2007 that asked the same question and there wasn't much information available at that time also. In the thread there were conflicting answers; Medical Officers (I'm assuming that's the job title for CIA Physician) are 'overt personnel' involved with treatment for covert operators. That sounds like too much of a cool-guy response to be true. What does overt and covert, even mean?
That post was in 2007

In 2014, when the news of CIA 'black sites' and the use of 'enhanced interrogation techniques' went public reports like this one from the Washington Times explicitly, states "CIA medical doctors (Im guessing medical officers are different?), as well as psychologists, were intimately involved in virtually every interrogation session to a far greater extent than was previously known" CIA report describes medical personnel’s intimate role in harsh interrogations
I didn't read the full 600 page report that was put on Wikileaks, but there are multiple articles that detail the role and a little bit of what was happening behind the scenes.

Im not here to chastise the CIA or create a political debate, I am only a pre-med student, and I am curious about jobs within the federal government that would be available to be as a physician, as I would like to continue to work in the federal government.

The only information that I could get was interviews about what it was like working for the CIA, by other jobs. Which detailed that the CIA is family friendly if you are not undercover, but you are subject to constant interviews about your life. Do physicians in the CIA do typical doctor stuff? (clinical setting) Or do they work within the operations branch (the typical 'spy stuff') of the CIA, or is it a bit of both?

It says the job is overt. That means no secret spy stuff. It’s probably similar to operational medicine in the Navy in that you’re caring for mostly healthy people who actually go out and do the job. I’m sure admin is probably a big part of it too.

Covert positions are the operators—the “spies.” Overt personnel are support staff.

Hey - I was the one 10 years ago that said the doctors were overt employees working on covert employees! However, the report of 2014 stating that CIA medical officers were right there in the suck was news to me. I thought they were most (or all) in the metro DC area.

Members don't see this ad :)
They basically just attach electrodes to scrotums. It’s tedious.

Reactions: 1 users
They were at ACEP one year recruiting. I was interested but they were just as vague as the website. This is something I've explored as best as possible without actually applying over the years, the best I can gather is that the job is probably varied. The most typical/advertised role seems to be getting stationed overseas and provide primary and urgent medical care to government personnel and their families. Some probably work as analysts, reviewing medical information the CIA has acquired on people of interest and providing an assessment of their health. Some probably deploy with the more action oriented CIA teams to provide forward medical care. Some are probably involved in providing medical oversight for interrogation. I imagine it's much like the military where your job can be extremely variable but is mostly mundane with a few opportunities to do something cool and unique.

I talked to them at acep and was told the recruiting was for docs willing to go oversees and provide care for fed employees and missions there

It’s just like James Bond, if James Bond wasn’t a spy. Or Suave. Or British. And he wasn’t an SAS agent, but worked for some less reputible organization instead. But he could do a kick ass rectal exam.

Reactions: 1 user
You know, like if Jaws bit James Bond on the thigh and it got infected? You’re the guy who gives him antibiotics and a referral to a surgeon in the NHS.

Or for one of the many, many, many times James Bond got the clap. You’d be the guy swabbing his knob.

Or like when James Bond came in with RUQ pain and an elevated AST/ALT ratio? You’re the guy telling him to try ordering a glass of $&@ing water now and then.

Or like when James Bond shows up with Moneypenny and they have a lot of questions about Plan B, but it’s already been three weeks? You’re the guy who gets to explain the limitations of that drug to them.

Or octopussy...however you actually go about treating that...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
You also get to resuscitate the “person of interest” when the waterboarding goes wrong.
One of my friends applied for a psychiatry job with them. I was one of his references, but they never called me. I don’t think he got past their preliminary screening. Or maybe he’s an agent with them now...

--
Il Destriero

I talked to a recruiter at APA (Psychiatrist) one year. It sounded very much like an equivalent state department gig: 2+x 2 year tours abroad followed by DC. Basically working as a psychiatrist to CIA staff overseas with some “interesting” ad hoc work; he was vague enough about this to make me suspect fitness-for-duty/security clearance evals rather than HALO-ing in to throw depakote at the enemy.* Psychiatrist’s are not permitted to participate in interrogations (enhanced or otherwise), for what that’s worth.

* evidence based for reduction in impulsive aggression, references provided upon request!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
This doesn't sound like any fun at all. Know all about the human body and can't put it to good use except for tending to a scrape on the knee or a bruised ego when passed over for a mission.

I was strolling through the neighborhood and came by this thread.

I suppose if somewhere (not stateside) there were clandestine activities going on that had risk of combat-type injuries then it might be prudent to set up a forward medical treatment unit as part of the operation to receive and stabilize casualties should they occur, particularly if the local facilities were inadequate or potentially hostile. So I could see why someone with EM training would be a good match. I don't really know how these things work, except that there seem to be special operations combat activities taking place across northern Africa in several countries where there are no U.S. base facilities, so having U.S. medical personnel in country is probably part of that.

An internship classmate of mine and DMO assigned to a special Navy unit crossed paths with me while I was deployed to a place convenient to Africa. He was there with his guys who did not wear uniforms and then he was gone. I didn't have a need to know and he didn't have a need to tell.

Reactions: 1 users
funny i stumbled upon this thread. i’ve been looking at the CIA as an option since i had wanted to work there long before any interests in medicine. was thinking about applying when my payback was nearly complete....maybe not so much now since all i can find out about it from their website and looking around is pretty much just what’s posted here. sounds like a glorified concierge medicine gig

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile