What exactly do you do in a research lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AestheticGod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm confused as to what a student actually does in a research lab.

I just finished my science courses for Bio and Chem, and wanted to get some research experience. Are they going to expect me to think of ideas for new experiments and do them? I'm not exactly sure if I'm experienced enough in the biology/chemistry field to do any research opportunities.

I'm afraid that I'm going to look like an idiot when I work with the 'research guys' :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

It's normal to feel like an idiot at first. :p

Most likely, you'll be placed on a current project with a more experienced member of the lab and you'll learn from there. They'll train you to where you need to be and eventually you'll pick up enough things on your own to be independent. Whatever happens is usually up to the PI and is specific to each lab according to the PI's style and preferences. In general, it takes roughly 2 months until a new member feels fully confident in handling the work and responsibilities.

Personally, I was placed on a project with another member and eventually I took over the project and worked on it independently when he graduated. I just got more freedom and more work as I proved myself over the years. I suspect this is how it happens in most labs in my school.

In general, just be eager to learn and work hard and you'll do fine.

I just finished my science courses for Bio and Chem, and wanted to get some research experience. Are they going to expect me to think of ideas for new experiments and do them? I'm not exactly sure if I'm experienced enough in the biology/chemistry field to do any research opportunities.

I'm afraid that I'm going to look like an idiot when I work with the 'research guys' :oops:

If only... Autonomy is hard thing to come by as an undergrad...

Members don't see this ad :)

It is very very very rare for an undergrad to design their own experiments and do them. That's often even a stretch for grad students/med students. The PI is the one with the grants, so for the most part you just work on whatever projects they have going at the time.

Your level of responsibility will depends on your PI and the size of the lab. My undergrad lab was small (just my PI and 2 other undergrads) so we had a lot of responsibilities, a lot more than people in labs with grad students and postdocs. IMO, the mentor is more important than the project, so look for a mentor/PI that you think you can get along with and seems willing to take the time to help you rather than just looking for a cool project.

It is very very very rare for an undergrad to design their own experiments and do them. That's often even a stretch for grad students/med students. The PI is the one with the grants, so for the most part you just work on whatever projects they have going at the time.

Your level of responsibility will depends on your PI and the size of the lab. My undergrad lab was small (just my PI and 2 other undergrads) so we had a lot of responsibilities, a lot more than people in labs with grad students and postdocs. IMO, the mentor is more important than the project, so look for a mentor/PI that you think you can get along with and seems willing to take the time to help you rather than just looking for a cool project.

+1 to this. Ideally, find a great mentor in a medically related field. It's tough, but more than doable. Independence as an undergrad in research is something that needs to be actively pursued. Most people are just content running PCRs or Westerns for post-docs, and PIs are generally fine with this because, hey, it's cheap work.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using SDN Mobile

I did work on neuroscience research in undergrad. My professor came up with the hypothesis and the general procedure, but that's where he left it. He let me actually do all the actual design, protocol, data organization, etc. I just kept him updated on where I was, what I was doing, etc, so that he could approve/disapprove.

It was designed to be a multi-year study that would finish after I graduated, so all I got out of it was a poster presentation at the time.

A few years after I graduated I heard from him that some Germans had also done the study and published positive results. :(

My experience was probably uncommon, but if you show initiative and a good knowledge base (along with the right PI) the possibilities are endless.

If you have a "typical" experience, you'll likely start off doing very basic stuff. This serves two purposes: you learn the basics of experimental protocols (i.e., what's in buffers, why you put THIS in your media, why you put THIS in solutions, etc.) and you also provide important work to the lab. As long as you don't screw up and/or your PI isn't a jerk, you'll likely start running experiments under the guise of the PI or a grad student and eventually on your own.

In nearly all cases, though, you will be working at the behest of your PI. In other words, you'll simply do experiments or protocols he/she directs you to do. If you really luck out, you'll have your own project and might get the chance to run experiments you think would be good to run and approach a problem in a way you wish rather than the way your PI would. Having the ability to do this is more the exception than the rule in my experience though.

Other posts here pretty much mirror my experience. As time went on, I gained more autonomy (I worked there 3.5 years). In my gap year lab, there is little hand holding and I've had to pick up things quick. I've designed a few experiments so far.

I'll add that some labs that my friends worked in required undergrads to do scut work (cleaning dishes, making solutions, pouring gels, etc.) for an amount of time before they were given a project to help out on. Some were doing this for over a year before a project or mentor "opened up" for them. I would avoid this sort of situation.

You clean glassware, run gels, organize data, and sometimes if you're really special you get to eat lunch

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

To be honest, you need to know a bit of chemistry when you first start in a research lab.

Water is H2O
Glass is SiO2

Now combine them and load it into the autoclave afterwards, scrub!

To be honest, you need to know a bit of chemistry when you first start in a research lab.

Water is H2O
Glass is SiO2

Now combine them and load it into the autoclave afterwards, scrub!

You're on a roll today

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I did work on neuroscience research in undergrad. My professor came up with the hypothesis and the general procedure, but that's where he left it. He let me actually do all the actual design, protocol, data organization, etc. I just kept him updated on where I was, what I was doing, etc, so that he could approve/disapprove.

I had a very similar experience. My PI told me the general direction in which he wanted to go with his hypothesis, but the rest was up to me. I would check in with him every week or so to let him know how I was doing and if I had any ideas of my own.

I think it all depends on your PI and the type of lab you work in.

Gee OP I wonder what students do in a research lab. Probably not research.

It took me about half a semester to have any sort of idea what was going on. They didn't really start me off on basic stuff at all like I was expecting. I work closely with a grad student and he had a few deadlines to meet so we worked hard on fabricating a series of devices used in surgery.

The hardest part, so far, is having to use numerous complicated machines. It's more than just typing in a few numbers and then hitting run most of the time so it really is necessary to figure out how the equipment you use works. I have figured most everything out with the machinery and processes so now I get to apply everything I've learned and actually contribute to some of the discussion.

It varies a lot depending on lab group but the easiest way to figure out how a lab group works is by talking to other undergrads in the group. Also, don't join a group that you're not actually interested in. That won't be beneficial to you nor the PI.

Gee OP I wonder what students do in a research lab. Probably not research.

Way too mainstream.

On a more serious note, I had to first spend a few months observing what everyone was doing, and then I had to run "practice" trials. Only after that was I assigned my own project, which I've been doing until now - but the kicker is that if any issues pop up, I've got to solve them myself and look up solutions since that's my PI's policy. He'll step in only for super-serious problems, but everything else below that is my responsibility. As for theory, I had to teach myself by reading papers and looking up things in our postdocs' textbooks.

I basically follow the steps on the protocol. (lipid extraction, FAME generation, GC analysis)....I just follow the protocol; after a short time you understand all the parts and just repeat.

Method development was obviously more complicated, but basic stuff or starting research stuff is basically just following the steps.

Research lab is like an extension of washing dishes, except you are not in your parents house. :smuggrin:

If you are in a lab where everyone is pleasant to work with, then things should go super smooth. You are familiarized with all of teh concepts and investigations that are going on. You watch closely and learn the important concepts. In addition, it is in your best interest to keep up with the literature. Be creative and intuitive and try and attend all sessions. In time, you will be able to perform regular tasks independently and if you play your cards right, you may even be able to design a project and run it. Just make sure it's relevant.

If you dont feel like an idiot when you start in a lab your doing something wrong

At least thats what I was always told