• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

void

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm looking at several volunteer applications to hospitals, and although I've filled many out they tell me explicitly that they do not offer "clinical experience" or an opportunity to shadow doctors.

What exactly is clinical experience?

Is it doing routine procedures using machines, checking blood pressure, etc? Is it shadowing a physician? What is it?

I do realize this is a simple question and that this thread won't last long, but I just want this question asked.

Thank you.

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Do a quick search in the search function in the upper right hand corner

I bet theres 100 threads on this topic.

pride4jc727

10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I would take LizzyM's signature as a starting point:

"If you are close enough to "smell patients", it is a clinical experience."

scattun

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I think your hospital is defining clinical experience as clinical care. It would be my guess that as a volunteer you wouldn't be responsible for any patient care, like vitals. That doesn't mean though that you won't have patient contact, through wheeling patients to cars, taking them deliveries from the gift shop, and the like. And for medical school admissions this and any activity which fills the above post's requirement do indeed count as clinical experience.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.