What field are you studying?

Started by QofQuimica
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And how far along are you? I'm in pharmaceutical chemistry, and I hope to be graduating with my PhD next year. Any other chemists or related fields (pharmacology, biochemistry, etc.) out there? I just had my last committee meeting yesterday....the next one will be the defense some time in 2005. Yikes. Anyway it went well and I am finally a candidate (I should have done that a couple of years ago but better late than never.) Just wanted to tell someone who'd know what it means, and I didn't think that anyone would care on the pre-allopathic site. 😛

Also, are any of you getting close to graduating and feeling a little nervous about getting out of grad school? I mean, I have been a student for so long that I can't even imagine post-school life very clearly. I guess I am getting a little comfortable where I am and now I'm in the somewhat odd position where my prof is wanting me to get out while I'm thinking maybe I need another semester or two. I am planning to work for a year after I graduate and then try to go to medical school in 2006. I know that I would like to have more of a clinical focus rather than do straight bench chemistry. It is kind of unnerving though because everything is totally up in the air and I don't know for sure where I'll be or what I'll be doing two years from now.
 
Congrats that you had your last committee meeting!

I, for one do not even have a thesis committee yet. I met with one guy who will likely end up as my chair thus far. However, the silver lining to me not yet proposing is that I have a few experiments to do and my first paper will be ready to write.

I am studying hematopoiesis in ES cells, specifically, the genetic program and transcriptional control involved in commitment to different germ layers.
 
Fixed Gear said:
Congrats that you had your last committee meeting!

I, for one do not even have a thesis committee yet. I met with one guy who will likely end up as my chair thus far. However, the silver lining to me not yet proposing is that I have a few experiments to do and my first paper will be ready to write.

I am studying hematopoiesis in ES cells, specifically, the genetic program and transcriptional control involved in commitment to different germ layers.
*Looks at completed thesis, smiles*

Man, I would not want to be at the beginning of this process for all the money in the world. Ugh. Good luck with that, my friend.

For the record, I study the transcriptional regulation of apoptosis in Drosophila melanogaster. Pretty interesting stuff, and now I'm moving on to Translation regulation and apoptosis. 👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm in my first year of PhD. program in immunology in England. I'm looking forward to writing on this blog -- As far as, how far along I am: here the PhD program is 3 years-4 years, so the pace is fast... For instance, I'll be finished with coursework in March (but I'll be in the lab in January...). I'm new to England -- originally from Brooklyn, New York, which I miss dearly... Especially the food... :laugh:
 
GraC_undr_PrsR said:
I'm in my first year of PhD. program in immunology in England. I'm looking forward to writing on this blog -- As far as, how far along I am: here the PhD program is 3 years-4 years, so the pace is fast... For instance, I'll be finished with coursework in March (but I'll be in the lab in January...). I'm new to England -- originally from Brooklyn, New York, which I miss dearly... Especially the food... :laugh:

where in england?