What field has a better future? FM vs Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfootisreal

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interested in both of these fields. I know some people seem to think that many fields in medicine are on the cusp of major reconstruction in terms of lifestyle and pay etc. what is everyone’s thoughts on the future of these two?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Interested in both of these fields. I know some people seem to think that many fields in medicine are on the cusp of major reconstruction in terms of lifestyle and pay etc. what is everyone’s thoughts on the future of these two?
I would say gas cause you can specialize into something that midlevels aren’t really encroaching upon (e.g. ccm). With FM you’re kind of stuck imo.

Both good specialties

What's important is stamping down on midlevel encroachment not by running and hiding
I like your fighting spirit but let me explain to you and everyone else watching once and for all why that will never happen.

It is no longer a secret that there is a lot of money in healthcare. Hence corporations, corrupt politicians, small-dick billionaires, MBAs, and just about every other physical manifestation of the evils of capitalism you can think of is trying to get a piece of that pie. Once these people set their sights on something, they are relentless. They will get their way because collectively they hold 99% of the cards.

Historically, healthcare was dominated by physicians and it has taken them a long time to erode the power structure of our profession but they have ultimately succeeded. The evidence of their victory is everywhere: exponential admin expansion, MBA takeover of healthcare, nonexistent tort reform, runaway debt of medical education, big academia exploiting resident labor, bullying of physicians by MBAs, midlevels, clipboard nurses, etc., midlevel encroachment, ineffectiveness of AMA and other physician lobbies, and the list goes on. In the face of this new oppressive power structure that has formed around our profession, physicians "burnout" is through the roof; that's a fun word thrown around by the suits to place blame on physicians for being fed up with an irreparably broken system and losing all hope, along with other hits like "provider" and "professionalism violation."

When you factor in all of the forces actively working to undermine our profession so they can at last pick apart the carcass of the American healthcare system, you don't need a crystal ball to realize what the inevitable conclusion is. At best, our only hope was buying just enough time for one last generation of physicians to cash out.

Tl;dr the future is bleak for both of them.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I like your fighting spirit but let me explain to you and everyone else watching once and for all why that will never happen.

It is no longer a secret that there is a lot of money in healthcare. Hence corporations, corrupt politicians, small-dick billionaires, MBAs, and just about every other physical manifestation of the evils of capitalism you can think of is trying to get a piece of that pie. Once these people set their sights on something, they are relentless. They will get their way because collectively they hold 99% of the cards.

Historically, healthcare was dominated by physicians and it has taken them a long time to erode the power structure of our profession but they have ultimately succeeded. The evidence of their victory is everywhere: exponential admin expansion, MBA takeover of healthcare, nonexistent tort reform, runaway debt of medical education, big academia exploiting resident labor, bullying of physicians by MBAs, midlevels, clipboard nurses, etc., midlevel encroachment, ineffectiveness of AMA and other physician lobbies, and the list goes on. In the face of this new oppressive power structure that has formed around our profession, physicians "burnout" is through the roof; that's a fun word thrown around by the suits to place blame on physicians for being fed up with an irreparably broken system and losing all hope, along with other hits like "provider" and "professionalism violation."

When you factor in all of the forces actively working to undermine our profession so they can at last pick apart the carcass of the American healthcare system, you don't need a crystal ball to realize what the inevitable conclusion is. At best, our only hope was buying just enough time for one last generation of physicians to cash out.

Tl;dr the future is bleak for both of them.
So what’s not bleak? Healthcare admin and law? Lol

When I started looking at medical school everyone was sure that AI/midlevels/malpractice/universal healthcare/whatever was about to be the end of medicine, and at that time inflation adjusted salaries had already been going down for more than a decade. I went anyway, and salaries then went up by 10% per year for pretty much the entire Obama administration and the jobs multiplied rather than disappearing.

Read SDN posts from 10 and 20 years ago. Look and what they were predicting then and see how well it matches up to the current market. People really don't have a clue what the future looks like and they always predict that things are about to collapse. They might be right but there's no reason its more likely today than it was 20 years ago. Do what interests you most.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
When I started looking at medical school everyone was sure that AI/midlevels/malpractice/universal healthcare/whatever was about to be the end of medicine, and at that time inflation adjusted salaries had already been going down for more than a decade. I went anyway, and salaries then went up by 10% per year for pretty much the entire Obama administration and the jobs multiplied rather than disappearing.

Read SDN posts from 10 and 20 years ago. Look and what they were predicting then and see how well it matches up to the current market. People really don't have a clue what the future looks like and they always predict that things are about to collapse. They might be right but there's no reason its more likely today than it was 20 years ago. Do what interests you most.
So Obama and Obama care didn’t take away compensation from physicians lol? I’m curious your take on the deficit reduction act. I’ve seen it cited a couple of times in these forums for the decrease in compensation for physicians around the 2008 collapse. Appreciate your input.

I'm sure both have a good future. FM is probably better, because there's a shortage. You can literally find a job anywhere. But anesthesia is likely to continue to make more.

Regardless, if you don't do what you enjoy more, you'll regret it. If you like both equally, then look at other factors. Is having the freedom to work/live anywhere more important? Go FM. Is money more important? Go anesthesia.

Reactions: 3 users
I would say gas cause you can specialize into something that midlevels aren’t really encroaching upon (e.g. ccm). With FM you’re kind of stuck imo.

......I haven’t seen an ICU in my experience as a nurse and a medical student that didn’t have NPs.

Reactions: 1 users
I think someone here mentioned they’re trying to make critical care fellowships for FM docs ? No idea how true that is.