You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
what field of Nursing do males generally work in?
Started by james07
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Here's my N=1. I tend to encounter the most male nurses in the emergency room, by far. After that...I'd say the ICU next most common, also on the rehab floors. Rarest is definitely any pediatric floor as well as OR nursing.
As for male nurses, yeah everybody does the murse joke every once in a while, but honestly it's mostly a non-issue. As long as you have no problem working in a (still) female dominated field, it's a great career.
As for male nurses, yeah everybody does the murse joke every once in a while, but honestly it's mostly a non-issue. As long as you have no problem working in a (still) female dominated field, it's a great career.
Male nurses are still fewer in number than female but you tend to find them in the critical care units, the OR and in the Emergency Department rather than doing floor nursing (although you will find some there as well). In contrast with the above, I've worked with several male nurses in the OR (although most males in the OR are scrub techs and not nurses).
Male pharmacists are more common than male nurses but the jobs are vastly different. Important to choose what interests you.
Male pharmacists are more common than male nurses but the jobs are vastly different. Important to choose what interests you.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We have several male nurses in our OR, as well as male scrubs
Women defiantly still dominate the nursing profession, but today in our local paper they had the new students at the Medical Center nursing department and probably at least 8 of the new participants we're men.. Also I believe many men can find scholarships for nursing school, etc..
We have several male nurses in our OR, as well as male scrubs
Interesting, hence the N=1. We have some male scrub techs (but more I believe are private employees of the Ortho and Neurosurgery groups) but I've never come across an actual male OR nurse. I imagine a lot of this is institution specific. Our place may be historically female, thus explaining why less males feel comfortable there.
Its funny how history works. The first Nursing School was founded in India. It was around 250 B.C. The student body had to meet the highest standards of behavior, intelligence and purity. Oh yeah, and it was all male. I have seen male nurses in E.R. and ICU. I have encountered None in O.B. or Pediatrics (go figure) and only few in the O.R. and few in the Cath Lab.
The one book I've seen this discussed by was called "Still a Man's World: Men who do Women's Work" and it explored males who have entered typically female fields such as social work, nursing, elementary school teaching and librarians. IIRC the data the authors had found men more likely to be in Psychiatry floors (where their size/strength is of major benefit) and the ICU (because a large number are interested in becoming CRNA's and need the experience). I think ER was also very common (again, their size can help with unruly patients).
Personally, I've seen several males in children's hospitals and in the OR. Never seen one in L&D though.
I think the important thing though is that you can follow whatever your interests are. There's such a nursing shortage everywhere that there are plenty of jobs to be had.
Personally, I've seen several males in children's hospitals and in the OR. Never seen one in L&D though.
I think the important thing though is that you can follow whatever your interests are. There's such a nursing shortage everywhere that there are plenty of jobs to be had.
The hospital that I volunteered at had male nurses that worked in peds.
I'm just wondering what field of nursing do males generally work in, how are male nurses looked upon? Do more males become Pharmacist more so than nurses?
Definitely CRNA, a very large percentage are males compared to other nursing specialties.
I've been told that male nurses make more, don't know the truth to that though. Can someone confirm or correct this?
I've been told that male nurses make more, don't know the truth to that though. Can someone confirm or correct this?
Maybe male nurses tend to work in surgecal department
Similar threads
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 617
E