What forceps do you normally use for lower molar extractions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mauricio45

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I like the Ash forcep (#73) for lower molars. I feel like I get better grip with those than with the lower universal. Just curious what you all normally use?

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing is more satisfying than using just an elevator

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I like the Ash forcep (#73) for lower molars. I feel like I get better grip with those than with the lower universal. Just curious what you all normally use?
That's very interesting, I never heard of anyone using that. Are you using it to take the whole tooth out or root tips??

Oral surgeons in my training experience have only advocated for using ash forceps on single rooted teeth in the mandible, so typically just Md. anterior teeth +/- premolars. I think elevators should be adequate for 90+% of Md post. teeth

there is a molar ash forceps. Looks a little bit like a #17 forcep (the silly looking cowhorn, we called it the snowplow at MUSoD). What forceps to use depends on a variety of factors the minimum of which being: access to tooth, # of roots and configuration of roots. Get good with elevators and a #151- every office has those. If you get reliant on a "magic" forceps that you're good with better learn to bring it with you...

I find extractions my favorite procedure.

Some of the best advice I got was to use periotomes extensively, forcefully (apically only!) For several minutes then elevate out the tooth.

Forceps just for picking the tooth out of the mouth.

Nearly (most) teeth come out without a flap, with no torn gingiva, and best of all "I didn't need the medications you prescribed, the Advil was enough. Thanks so much"