Syncrohnize

PGY-1
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Ok, so I have been accepted but am not studying in medical school yet. However, I am taking a class that definitely correlates with material I will probably learn in medical school. I was just wondering, what forum would I use to ask these random questions? For example, if I had a question about pre-reqs (even if I wasn't studying for the MCAT) I'd usually go to the MCAT forums. Here, however, I'm hesitant to go to the USLME forums because I am not sure if the questions I ask will even come up on the USLME.

For example, my question is: Why is free PSA % decreased in cases of prostate cancer? What forum would I ask such a question in?

MedicineMike

MS4
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Status
Medical Student
No clue why it is decreased, but the lower the free PSA, the more aggressive the cancer.

Also, *USMLE

Anastomoses

secretly an end artery
Removed
Account on Hold
May 11, 2013
Texas, Chicago
Status
Medical Student
I suppose if it's basic science at all, the USMLE forums. If it's clinical detail and pertains to a particular specialty - the residents of that specialty's forum? That's just the route I'd take.

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
SDN has a no "homework-help" policy. Case discussions are encouraged, but asking a question such as you suggested, may lead to a thread closure. The only locations these type of discussions usually occur are on the MCAT and Board Prep forums.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Also asking specific questions such as the meaning of a certain PSA level borders on medical advice, and for a variety of legal reasons SDN probably doesn't want anonymous users of various and unchecked levels of expertise dispensing medical advice which someone might rely on.