What forum to ask random medical questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Redpancreas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I have been accepted but am not studying in medical school yet. However, I am taking a class that definitely correlates with material I will probably learn in medical school. I was just wondering, what forum would I use to ask these random questions? For example, if I had a question about pre-reqs (even if I wasn't studying for the MCAT) I'd usually go to the MCAT forums. Here, however, I'm hesitant to go to the USLME forums because I am not sure if the questions I ask will even come up on the USLME.

For example, my question is: Why is free PSA % decreased in cases of prostate cancer? What forum would I ask such a question in?

Members don't see this ad.

No clue why it is decreased, but the lower the free PSA, the more aggressive the cancer.

Also, *USMLE

I suppose if it's basic science at all, the USMLE forums. If it's clinical detail and pertains to a particular specialty - the residents of that specialty's forum? That's just the route I'd take.

Members don't see this ad :)
SDN has a no "homework-help" policy. Case discussions are encouraged, but asking a question such as you suggested, may lead to a thread closure. The only locations these type of discussions usually occur are on the MCAT and Board Prep forums.

In addition, please do not post questions in the specialty forums. If you are a premed student please post your questions in one of the premed forums. Physicians who wish to answer the questions may do so there.

Also asking specific questions such as the meaning of a certain PSA level borders on medical advice, and for a variety of legal reasons SDN probably doesn't want anonymous users of various and unchecked levels of expertise dispensing medical advice which someone might rely on.