what happened to the Bachlors degree in Pharmacy??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrArsenic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why did the bachlor of pharmacy get replaced by the doctor of pharmacy. I think it would be nice to be able to practice pharmacy after only 4 years of education. They should have kept this program and made the doctor of pharmacy program sort of like a masters degree thing where you go an extra 2 years (optional).

Members don't see this ad.

I enjoy a good story, long version, if you please.

Members don't see this ad :)
the truth is theres no good reason for hte change.

You see this with all the health professions. Soon there will be doctor of nursing programs too.

Everybody wants to be called doctor. That the bottom line.

Originally posted by MacGyver
Everybody wants to be called doctor. That the bottom line.

As a matter of fact, UCSF has a doctor program in nursing.

Wasn't the B.S. Pharm 5 years?

Originally posted by BMBiology
As a matter of fact, UCSF has a doctor program in nursing.

doesnt surprise me.

I'm betting that within 20 years, all PA programs will also award doctorates. Of course you dont really need a doctorate level degree to be a PA, but the powers that be dont care, they just want the title and will throw some more fluff into the curriculum to make it happen and try to justify a doctoral degree.

CA eliminated the BS in pharmacy decades ago. BS in pharmacy isn't enough for the complexity of health care nowadays. In my mind pharmd programs will adequately, but not completely prepare us for the field. I honestly, think med school should be longer as well, bc that curriculum doesn't allocate enough time to pharmaceutics. it's a waaaay different ball game then even ten years ago.

is it the bs in pharmacy that leads to the rph title? there was in rph in the pharmacy i worked at and all he told me was that a pharmd program is an added year... any differences in the rph/pharmd titles as far as 'qualifications' go?

thanks..

good to be back.. i've been so busy moving and all that i forgot all about sdn! lots of good posts to read...:)

Excerpt from the Code of Ethics of Pharmacy 1952:

The primary obligation of pharmacy is the service it can render to the public in safeguarding the prepartion, compounding, and dispensing of drugs and the storage and handling of drugs and medical supplies.
The pharmacist holds the health and safety of his patrons to be of first consideration; he makes no attempt to prescribe for or treat disease or to offer for sale any drug or medical device purely for profit.
The pharmacist does not discuss the therapeutic effects or composition of a prescription with a patient. When such questions are asked, he suggest that the qualified practitioner is the proper person with whom such matters should be discussed.
The pharmacist is proud to display in his establishment his own name and the names of other pharmacists employed by him.

The end of WWII.
Unlike the rest of the medical professions, pharmacy did not get to be officers. The US High Command deemed pharmacy a trade and only commissioned pharmacists at the enlisted ranks. The heads of pharmacy were stunned by this and vowed to change it.

1950s.
At this time, 75% of registered pharmacists had a bachelor's degree (4 years total) in the subject + 1 year of apprenticeship. 25% were just plain Rph. One attained this by apprenticing oneself to a senior pharmacist preceptor for 2 years and taking the boards. MN, OH, WA, and MI were the states where it was more common to get an Rph than a BS. (Some of your older instructors will write their title as BS, Rph to differentiate themselves).

To professionalize pharmacy, APhA mandated that all states require the BS degree before licensure. It would take years before that would happen because APhA then as now could not enforce its own policies. However, different schools undertook policies to strengthen their pharmacy graduates.

MI, Purdue, PN except Dusquene, and TX started to focus on industrial and research pharmacy to rival PCP's research program. These schools today are better known for their pharmacist-scientist grads than plain pharmacists.

CA
A different mentality took place in CA. USC decides to professionalize its pharmacists by making them a product of liberal arts. Instead of focusing on the trade aspects of pharmacy, students were required to take fluff classes in philosophy, history, and arts to make them better educated citizens. USC then started to award the Pharm.D. (long before an honorary title) over the objections of the APhA. These liberal arts educated pharmacist were a failure, and USC scrapped the program in the early '60s.

UCSF took a different approach. They decided that their pharmacists should be involved in being a part of the healthcare team. Unlike the approach USC's gentleman pharmacist, UCSF was able to demostrate results. The current dean, Mary-Anne Koda-Kimble, was trained in this style in the late-60s. Both pharmacy schools will adopt the Pharm. D. as the only degree by the mid-1960s, when the last apprentice Rph took his boards in MN.

I'll post the rest tommorrow....I'm tired...