What happens if a med school loses accreditation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student113

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might be a really stupid question, but I'm curious. We always talk about schools "in danger of" losing accreditation. So if it actually happens, what happens to the students currently in that school?

Members don't see this ad.

What schools are in danger of losing accreditation?

Won't happen. If they are put on probation, do you really think they won't do whatever they need to to get off?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that MSU (MD program) was on probation a long time ago, and I have heard of schools here and there. As someone else mentioned, no US MD school is likely to lose accreditation. The worst that would probably happens is some restructuring and a change of administration. Theoretically, however, all of the students would be SOL and would probably be divided among however many schools were willing to take them in if they were lucky.

This might be a really stupid question, but I'm curious. We always talk about schools "in danger of" losing accreditation. So if it actually happens, what happens to the students currently in that school?

It's never happened, but if a school was to lose LCME accreditation, any degrees awarded would be deemed invalid. Students would not be eligible to sit for any licensing exams (USMLE) nor would they be eligible to enter the NRMP residency match.

It's never happened, but if a school was to lose LCME accreditation, any degrees awarded would be deemed invalid. Students would not be eligible to sit for any licensing exams (USMLE) nor would they be eligible to enter the NRMP residency match.

So this would mean that doctors who are currently practicing who had received degrees from that school would no longer be allowed to practice, no matter if they had passed all their licensing and board exams (and any other exams necessary) with flying colors?

So this would mean that doctors who are currently practicing who had received degrees from that school would no longer be allowed to practice, no matter if they had passed all their licensing and board exams (and any other exams necessary) with flying colors?

No, if you've already graduated from a school while it was still accredited, you're good. There are still many old-time docs who graduated from schools that don't exist today.