What happens if a Pre-med doesnt get into medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Virgil said:
Paramedic?
Already an EMT-Intermediate and worked as a supervisor for an ambulance service and I NEVER want to do that again- at least at a paid service (I currently do it at a volunteer service). All in all, being a paramedic as a career is far too stressing, time consuming and low paying in many places, to be worth the time of anyone who plans to have a family.

Members don't see this ad.

Will Ferrell said:
Yea... engineering may hurt your gpa though. i think chemistry is ideal.

If you think there are any decent jobs in chemistry let me disabuse you of that silly notion. I worked in the field for 18 years each one sucking more than the last. I am glad to be a med student even at my advanced age.

desiredusername said:
Whoa, champ! Ok, so, my brother's starting law school this fall. I'm pretty sure with his 3.8 undergraduate GPA, 2350 GRE, PhD in Neuroscience, 4.0 Graduate GPA, NSF Pre-doctoral fellowship, HHMI pre-doctoral felllowship, Merck Pre-doctoral fellowship, post-doc at Harvard in the lab of a member of the National Academy of Sciences and HHMI investigator, $200K a year in grants from Merck and the NSF as 1st year post doc he could have gotten into any med school.
Some people are just not interested in medicine. So let's lay off bashing lawyers. If, as a basic researcher and now that he's gotten into law school, he doesn't bash pre-meds you can afford lawyers the same luxury. Well, except medical malpractice and personal injury attorneys. Bash away.
Actually, given his 3.8 undergraduate GPA, 2350 GRE, PhD in Neuroscience, 4.0 Graduate GPA, NSF Pre-doctoral fellowship, HHMI pre-doctoral felllowship, Merck Pre-doctoral fellowship, post-doc at Harvard in the lab of a member of the National Academy of Sciences and HHMI investigator, $200K a year in grants from Merck and the NSF as 1st year post doc, he probably would've gotten nothing more than a waitlist or two.

please, next time, post his whole CV for us. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
TheProwler said:
Actually, given his 3.8 undergraduate GPA, 2350 GRE, PhD in Neuroscience, 4.0 Graduate GPA, NSF Pre-doctoral fellowship, HHMI pre-doctoral felllowship, Merck Pre-doctoral fellowship, post-doc at Harvard in the lab of a member of the National Academy of Sciences and HHMI investigator, $200K a year in grants from Merck and the NSF as 1st year post doc, he probably would've gotten nothing more than a waitlist or two.

please, next time, post his whole CV for us. :laugh:

LOL

another option is being homeless

Praetorian said:
:laugh: I've joked about becoming a malpractice attorney, but I don't think I could stomach something that distasteful.

Malpractice defense attorney makes sense though...I mean, seriously, if you're thinking about becoming a doctor, hasn't it crossed your mind? How much nonsense there is w/people trying to sue doctors for what seems like any little thing that goes wrong? (Yes, I know there are very legitimate reasons to bring a lawsuit but there is a lot of abuse out there with this.)
If I went into law I think I might really enjoy malpractice defense. I think...

But to the OP, just look at this site! There are forums for dental, pharmacy, veterinarian, .... many options just listed there, and that is only a small percentage of what's out there in the big, wide world.... hopefully you find something you enjoy doing!

Law2Doc said:
A bit myopic -- only on SDN do people not realize that most people on the planet choose careers other than medicine voluntarilly. :rolleyes:

Also, to the poster about malpractice law above being "distasteful", bear in mind that in each of those cases someone has to defend doctors too -- so medmal defense is also an option. :)

I was under the impression that those lawyers also had MD's.

CTSballer11 said:

First of all, I love your bush quote.

Most of them don't have MD's, but if they do, they are a hot commodity for law firms. Lots of them consult with MD's though, especially pathologists (I worked in pathology for a year). Sad thing is, if you really know medicine, you can find a lot of things to sue for. Unfortunately jury's don't understand that mistakes are a part of medicine, and there is a difference between true malpractice, mistakes, and misunderstandings. Its much harder for a defense to admit mistakes are made, because that looks like a weakness, and makes the case weaker.

sscooterguy

sscooterguy said:
First of all, I love your bush quote.

Most of them don't have MD's, but if they do, they are a hot commodity for law firms. Lots of them consult with MD's though, especially pathologists (I worked in pathology for a year). Sad thing is, if you really know medicine, you can find a lot of things to sue for. Unfortunately jury's don't understand that mistakes are a part of medicine, and there is a difference between true malpractice, mistakes, and misunderstandings. Its much harder for a defense to admit mistakes are made, because that looks like a weakness, and makes the case weaker.

sscooterguy

Thanks for clearing that up.

CTSballer11 said:

I'm not 100% positive on this, but I'm pretty sure they don't have MD's.

Become a hermit

hermit.jpg