What happens if one holds on to multiple acceptances after May 15

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supereagles

Spread your wings and fly
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It appears that most schools do not make financial aid decisions till after May 15. Lets face it money plays a big part in school selection and it would be nice to know how much potential grants or scholarships that are available. So would it be justified to ignore the May 15 deadline and hold on to more than one acceptance and what are the consequences if any? UCs are notoriously slow with their financial aid process and with the upcoming fee hike this could end up costing people including myself a lot of $$$ if we make the wrong decision. And yes when it comes to money and choosing between equally good schools there is such a thing as a wrong decision.

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of schools will unceremoniously drop your acceptance if they see that you're holding more than one after May 15th. I know of more than a few schools that begin doing this on 12am, May 16th. It's risky to hold on to more than one after the 15th without knowing a particular school's policy.

Don't most financial decisions come out by the end of April for non-waitlisted applicants?

Originally posted by TheFlash
Don't most financial decisions come out by the end of April for non-waitlisted applicants?

Idk... word on the street is that UNC isn't downloading FAFSAs until April, and won't have packages till June!

Anyone have any insight on this??

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll lose a bunch of deposits when you are forced to withdraw later!

damn i guess for unc acceptances....that better be your #1 choice and you better love it no matter what the cost...cause it would suck to have that acceptance just dropped and you with nothing to do...

so if you get no info supereagles till that day...i would ask the schools you are interested in about their policy but seeing a friend go through the hassle of it last year and knowing that many schools do talk to each other after this date...id doubt they would compensate for you...

if you hold on to multiple acceptance after may 15th you can lose ALL your acceptances. Schools are under no obligation to wait for your decision after May 15th and many do start dropping people the next day - sometimes they will take financial aid delays into account, but never count on it.

I held Pitt and Umich after may 15 by accident last year. I got a prompt email from Pitt, and I informed them of my withdrawl (apparently my email got lost somehow). Most schools don't put out aid packages, but if you call the FA offices and tell them your situation, most are helpful.

Can you put in deposits at multiple places? I would think that counts as the same thing as holding multiple acceptances (lets face it $200 is nothing in the scheme of applications and tuition).

what happens if you hold on to multiple acceptances after may 15th?

simple: you become whats known in the business as a "douche."

Originally posted by SunnyS81
I held Pitt and Umich after may 15 by accident last year. I got a prompt email from Pitt, and I informed them of my withdrawl (apparently my email got lost somehow). Most schools don't put out aid packages, but if you call the FA offices and tell them your situation, most are helpful.

Can you put in deposits at multiple places? I would think that counts as the same thing as holding multiple acceptances (lets face it $200 is nothing in the scheme of applications and tuition).

deposits at multiple institutions is exactly the same as holding multiple acceptances. schools update your status on the eAMCAS system, so if you pay deposits at two schools eAMCAS has you listed as being accepted at two schools and the schools will be notified. after may 15th you can only be accepted at one school (and unlimited wait lists)

You will permanently deleted from the Matrix.

Originally posted by edfig99
deposits at multiple institutions is exactly the same as holding multiple acceptances. schools update your status on the eAMCAS system, so if you pay deposits at two schools eAMCAS has you listed as being accepted at two schools and the schools will be notified. after may 15th you can only be accepted at one school (and unlimited wait lists)

The waitlists you remain on won't be available on eAMCAS system to the schools you're accepted, right?

Originally posted by uclacrewdude
what happens if you hold on to multiple acceptances after may 15th?

simple: you become whats known in the business as a "douche."

:thumbup:

is "eAMCAS" a word you made up? or am i just out of the loop and people are starting to use "e" to mean online? but AMCAS is an online thing...its assumed everyone knows that, no need for the e.

i hope i dont sound like a fool...

Members don't see this ad :)
When you are certain where you want to go, is there a way to ensure every other school has removed you from their accept list? The reason I ask is earlier in the year, I sent out a few withdrawal letters and still got interview invites for those schools, meaning they did not withdraw my application. How can we be sure that schools that accepted us have removed our acceptance from the eAMCAS system? Can we check where we are accepted ourselves?

-Entol

Originally posted by docmemi
is "eAMCAS" a word you made up? or am i just out of the loop and people are starting to use "e" to mean online? but AMCAS is an online thing...its assumed everyone knows that, no need for the e.

i hope i dont sound like a fool...

Well let's see, we have E-mail, E-banking, E-card, E-greetings, E-Cash...so why not E-AMCAS?? ;)

AMCAS used to be paper-based I think. And AAMC mail information about applicants and acceptances to schools around April 15 or so. Now that it's all online, E-AMCAS is a great way to distinguish it :thumbup:

Originally posted by Entol
When you are certain where you want to go, is there a way to ensure every other school has removed you from their accept list? The reason I ask is earlier in the year, I sent out a few withdrawal letters and still got interview invites for those schools, meaning they did not withdraw my application. How can we be sure that schools that accepted us have removed our acceptance from the eAMCAS system? Can we check where we are accepted ourselves?

-Entol

you call to ask to see if they have recieved your intent on withdrawing your application from further consideration. you always call about a few days after to confirm if they have recieved your request.

Originally posted by CalBeE
The waitlists you remain on won't be available on eAMCAS system to the schools you're accepted, right?

maybe his finger slipped when he was clicking "A"

Originally posted by exmike
maybe his finger slipped when he was clicking "A"

Actually I'm starting to show signs of Parkinson's disease and my hands are shaking when I type :p I guess I'm out of luck with any surgery specialty...

Originally posted by Entol

-Entol

Good question, I would suggest calling them, but wait that could be quite uncomfortable but you have a lot more to lose if you are still on their accept list after the 15th.

Okay, here's MY question...

What would happen if I narrowed down my choices to an AMCAS school and a non-AMCAS school?

Hypothetically... (or maybe not)...

If I were deciding between UNC and Columbia and were waiting to hear back from them about finances.... is this feasible to do (feasible to keep both acceptances after May 15) because one is an AMCAS school and one is not?

Because really... money is really, really important to me.

i think you might be ok there sarah since columbia is non amcas and doesnt have to follow their recommended deadlines...

but im sure if unc did find out...they wouldnt really like it...i dont know if they could do anything about it...hmm hopefully someone knows more about the topic.

Originally posted by jlee9531
i think you might be ok there sarah since columbia is non amcas and doesnt have to follow their recommended deadlines...

but im sure if unc did find out...they wouldnt really like it...i dont know if they could do anything about it...hmm hopefully someone knows more about the topic.

Interesting so if someone were on the Columbia waitlist and the dean were going through it, he would not know if X person was accepted to a "better" school or not? I'd think that this would be important for both Columbia and NYU to know for waitlists, they must gain access to the information somehow.

Originally posted by DoctorKevin
Interesting so if someone were on the Columbia waitlist and the dean were going through it, he would not know if X person was accepted to a "better" school or not? I'd think that this would be important for both Columbia and NYU to know for waitlists, they must gain access to the information somehow.

yeah that is prolly true...they must know like the amcas schools as well...i think sarah should call columbia and see what their official stance is on the issue...

Greetings all...

just a couple of things:

the eAMCAS thing wasn't a typo...I was just dating myself. AMCAS was paper and when the electronic version was being piloted it was called eAMCAS. Now that it is strictly electronic, the e has disappeared, and it's called AMCAS again....so it wasn't a finger slip up :)

in terms of holding on to acceptances after May 15th - I don't think it matters whether or not the schools participate in AMCAS -- the "traffic rules" were agreed upon by all the medical schools...it's an AAMC thing, not the AMCAS program (though I am honestly not 100% sure.)
http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/recommendations.htm

calbee: schools do not know where you are waitlisted -- only where you are accepted (amcas and nonamcas.)

l8r