what happens if you fail step III?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i matched into rad onc. i'm in my intern year. i guess i wasn't quite prepared because i (embarrassingly) failed step 3. does anyone know what that means? can/would my program kick me out before i even start? any advice would greatly be appreciated. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Ouch. Sorry to say but this is kind of a nightmare scenario. What happens now is totally up to your program as they certainly can kick you out. I would re-take before intern year ends and pass and hope for the best.

do you happen to know anyone who was in my situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
and would you recommend that i contact the program director now to fess up before i get there? or perhaps after i pass it? i'm assuming he would find out anyways and wouldn't want him to think that i was being dishonest by not telling him. please let me know if you think this is unncessary, assuming of course i pass it.

thank you so much for your input.

Can't say I know anyone who was in your situation. I think the best thing to do would be protect yourself. Repeat Step 3 as soon as you can and pass. Once that's done then you can bring it up with your PD that way you will not have been dishonest about it.

Sorry you are in such a difficult position, I hope it works out in the end for you.

If your program does not require you to have passed the Step III before you get there (mine didn't), it may not be that big of a deal. I myself took it as a PGY-3 (although I don't recommend it). I would find out from your program so you can remedy the situation, but I doubt they will kick you out (unless the GME at the institution requires it or something like that) since it's going to be a big hassel for them, too.

Good Luck.

i matched into rad onc. i'm in my intern year. i guess i wasn't quite prepared because i (embarrassingly) failed step 3. does anyone know what that means? can/would my program kick me out before i even start? any advice would greatly be appreciated. thanks.

1. dont tell your program anything (just yet)
2. look at the gme/program rules on when you need to take step 3. some programs require it just prior to graduation, others require it prior to entry into the program. if you have time, you can just retake it without your program knowing...

i don't think your program would kick you out. most rad onc programs don't require you to pass usmle 1,2 and 3 before you start. i know that two of our residents took their step 3 in their pgy-3 and pgy-4 years. they also don't recommend it, but if they can wait until then to take step 3, i can't imagine you are required to pass it before you start.

check your program website. if there is no requirement, no need to tell them if you don't want to.

thank you all so much for your input. this is extremely helpful.

if i'm not required to pass it before i start PGY2 and i pass it beforehand anyway, am i required to tell them about this failed first try at all? does anyone know? or is this all program specific?

I would 1) Not tell your program (if they ask, you have to tell them...dont lie obviously). 2) Take it before this year is over and before you get there. legally i dont think they can kick you out. order usmle world do all the questions and the case vignettes. You're definitely smart enough to let alone pass and do well. Just study for 2-3 weeks and do the questions...take the test, pass, and start rad onc...and then forget about the USMLEs!

If your program is in another state, you will have to send a copy of your usmle scores in may to the hospital and licensing board.

This seems more embarrassing than career ending. I would study, re-take, and pass step 3 prior to finishing your internship. I don't know that it is necessary to tell your PD about this. Personally, I wouldn't want to have that festering in the back of my mind, so I would probably tell them (after having a passing score in hand, so it comes across more as an embarrassing story and less as a potential red flag). Just my two cents.