what happens if you fail the bar exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amnesia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is all hope lost?

Members don't see this ad.

well, i would do as cingular does.. and raise the bar.

ok ok.. bad joke, i know.

No. If you fail you take out another 6000 dollar loan and try again. From what I've heard a lot of people don't pass the first time.

Members don't see this ad :)
amnesia said:
is all hope lost?

Agree with Indo. Many do fail and retake. Prob is if you don't pass the first time, it's pretty obvious to future employers since everyone else who passed on the first try has a license within a set number of months after graduation.

amnesia said:
is all hope lost?

Then your not an attorney?

Am I the only confused one? Isn't this Pre-Allo?

Is this a law school forum?

A friend of mine didn't pass July's bar; he's retaking it in February.

I'm not sure whether this is true for every state's bar association, but in Texas a list of people who passed the bar is posted on the Texas Bar Association's website. So everyone will be know whether or not you passed. "Failing" the bar is common. Some states have 50% pass rates.

If you don't pass, you don't become an attorney. Simple as that. It can affect your job security. Competitive firms may not allow multiple attempts at passing the bar.

Again...is this a law school forum?

2tall said:
Is this a law school forum?

A friend of mine didn't pass July's bar; he's retaking it in February.

I'm not sure whether this is true for every state's bar association, but in Texas a list of people who passed the bar is posted on the Texas Bar Association's website. So everyone will be know whether or not you passed. "Failing" the bar is common. Some states have 50% pass rates.

If you don't pass, you don't become an attorney. Simple as that. It can affect your job security. Competitive firms may not allow multiple attempts at passing the bar.

Again...is this a law school forum?

Most states have closer to a 60-70% passage rate. If you fail the bar exam, I suppose you need simply to study harder, take one or more prep classes (Bar-Bri, PMBR) and pass in February. You cannot practice law in a state until you pass that state's bar exam (and in some cases an additional standardized test Ethics exam and/or a character interview) and are sworn in. All state bars publish lists of those individuals who passed that state's bar exam. A lot of private practice employers make employment contingent on passing the bar, so if you find out in November that you failed, you may be out of work.