What happens if you rescind your acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it all.

Members don't see this ad.

Title says it all.

It would likely depend on both your reason for rescinding and the professor's temperament.

If you rescind your acceptance to accept a spot at another school, your name would probably be mud to that professor.

How long ago did you accept and did you sign anything?

If this is the case, depending on your career goals, this would not be a wise move. Research niches tend to be small and everyone knows everyone. You never know when you might run into someone again (conferences, grant or pub reviewer, search committee) and when something like this could come back and bite you. I would think very carefully before doing this.

Agreed. As soon as you (the OP) accepted, they told their alternates "no" and the alternates most likely took other offers, so this professor will be left high and dry without a student.

The April 15th deadline exists for a reason. It's March 26th, so why is this an issue? (aka why would you accept an offer you're unsure of more than 2 weeks ahead of when you need to?)

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. As soon as you (the OP) accepted, they told their alternates "no" and the alternates most likely took other offers, so this professor will be left high and dry without a student.

The April 15th deadline exists for a reason. It's March 26th, so why is this an issue? (aka why would you accept an offer you're unsure of more than 2 weeks ahead of when you need to?)

Because it was for a Master's program and the deadline was in March, I have no idea why.

If I did rescind, yes it would be to accept somewhere else, at a doctoral program.

It would likely depend on both your reason for rescinding and the professor's temperament.

If you rescind your acceptance to accept a spot at another school, your name would probably be mud to that professor.

How long ago did you accept and did you sign anything?

About a week ago. No I didn't sign anything.

I think the fact that it is a master's program changes it a little... It still sucks, but I wouldn't feel as bad. Especially since they had a super early deadline. They would have to understand and support your reasoning.

Because it was for a Master's program and the deadline was in March, I have no idea why.

If I did rescind, yes it would be to accept somewhere else, at a doctoral program.

This happens as I was in a masters program in the 80's. Many students were from back East due to the competitiveness of East Coast Universities in Clinical Psychology program. One of the programs back East called him the third week of classes as something happened with one of the students accepted to their class that year. The student never arrived on campus or enrolled and they could not hold the slot for them any longer. He had a teaching assistantship in the MS program but once he had the PhD offer to the program back East the MS program chairmen allowed him to move back East and I was offered his assistantship to teach intro psychology.

Actually, I believe this happens more than you would think for MA programs. Sometimes student re-apply the next year and leave the MA program after admissions to a PhD program. Many times the courses they have taken at the MA program are accepted by the PhD program.

The devil gets your soul.

Just kidding. I totally recommend that you do it if the only thing that's holding you back is social convention. Your professor and school will understand--if they don't, they really should and that's on them. But 95% of the time, they will understand. Reasonable schools and advisers want happy students, not trapped-feeling and regretful students.

Given that it's a master's program (which generally means the school and professor aren't quite as "invested" in you as in a doctoral program), the early deadline, and that you'd be rescinding to attend a doctoral program, I personally would probably have a hard time not doing so if the doctoral offer came through.

That being said, it's possible you may still burn bridges with someone at the master's program. Just try to remain respectful and courteous throughout.

Last edited:
Given that it's a master's program (which generally means the school and professor aren't quite as "invested" in you as in a doctoral program), the early deadline, and that you'd be rescinding to attend a doctoral program, I personally would probably have a hard time not doing so if the doctoral offer came through.

Agreed.

Congratulations on your acceptance!