What happens if....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

I'm thinking of asking a teacher of mine for a recommendation letter, but I'm not sure if I would count as my science LOR or non science LOR. Med schools require one LOR from a science faculty member and one from a non-science faculty member right?
I'm thinking of trying to list this course that I took with this professor as a science course to see if they will adjust it or not. What if I used her as my science letter, but then the AMCAS people designated the course as nonscience, and adcoms saw that this science letter was now classified as non science, and thus, I'd be missing a science letter?
Or what if, after reading the letter and learning more about this class that I took her with, they decide that it wasn't classified as science and went back and took it out of my science gpa?

Members don't see this ad.

Each school has different requirements. The general safe bet is two science (one from a lecturer, one from research if you've done it) and one non-science.

What is this professor teaching?

Get more than your bare minimum of letters and you should be fine, I had 5 personally but there is a chance that was overkill. I would worry less about the science/non-science stuff and focus on getting letters that will be solid for your app (from people who write well, know you well, etc.).

Sorry to hijack the thread, would a letter from something like Computer Science count as non science?

I assume when they say non-science they mean not Biology Chemistry or Physics

AMCAS refers to BCPM: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math. Those are the courses that make up your science gpa. You can look at the AMCAS instruction manual for more information on which departments count (e.g. statistics and biostatistics count as part of BCPM).

Reactions: 1 users