What happens on Match Day and thereafter?

Discussion in 'ERAS, SOAP, and NRMP Match' started by jjesusfreak01, Mar 15, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. jjesusfreak01

jjesusfreak01 7+ Year Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Two questions:

1. What information do we get on Match Day? Is it just the location of the program? Do we get a welcome letter or something?
    2. How does the program we matched to initiate contact after match day, and when does that happen?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. aProgDirector

aProgDirector Pastafarians Unite! SDN Advisor SDN Moderator 10+ Year Member

Oct 11, 2006
    You get the name/track of the program you matched into.

Many programs will reach out on Friday or over the weekend just to say hi. But not all.

You should feel free to contact them if you want.

They will send you all sorts of paperwork to complete.

Winged Scapula, cbrons, IMPD and 5 others like this.
  4. AdmiralChz

AdmiralChz Random-zilla 7+ Year Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Southeast
    You get a simple letter with the result. No welcome letter, nothing else. Programs will be in touch in the coming days, but don't be alarmed (there are always a few) if they don't call you personally or get super ecstatic about your impending arrival.

5. Raryn

Raryn Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist 7+ Year Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Physician
    My future program director sent us all an email detailing what we'd be expected to do re: scheduling and such on the afternoon of Match Day, but for many of my classmates they didn't hear anything until the following week.

hallowmann likes this.
  6. I'm looking forward to all the EPIC training and VA access paperwork. :yeahright:

Haha, but happy I've got a job next year! :banana:

Winged Scapula, MSTP18 and sazerac like this.
  7. educ8r

educ8r 5+ Year Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Physician
    I got a call from my program director on match day. I totally wasn't prepared for it and happened to answer the phone on the bus not knowing who it was. I had to talk in a hushed voice and couldn't really hear what they were saying. I don't know if either of us know for sure what was said during the call. Anyway, you might want to check the area code of the new place you'll be living and if you get a call from there when you're on the bus don't pick up.

8. mvenus929

mvenus929 10+ Year Member

Jul 6, 2006
    MDApps:
    Physician
    I got a call from my PD on match day as well, right in the middle of our celebration luncheon. Thankfully, I knew someone from the area where I matched, and she confirmed the area code of the place before I answered, so I had an idea of who was calling and could move to a quieter place.

cbrons and icd22 like this.
  9. aProgDirector

aProgDirector Pastafarians Unite! SDN Advisor SDN Moderator 10+ Year Member

Oct 11, 2006
    We expect you to be partying. I'm calling for fun. This should not be stressful.

10. akwho

akwho 5+ Year Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Welcome call from the PD day of match is standard. Tell em how excited you are and enjoy the day of celebration!

cbrons likes this.
  11. AdmiralChz

AdmiralChz Random-zilla 7+ Year Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Southeast
    Maybe in a smaller program with limited residents. Minimal chance in an IM program with > 50 including prelims! Also, our anesthesiology program does not call but does send a welcome e-mail at the end of the day (or early next week).

I remember people losing it that they didn't hear anything or (worse) didn't get a phone call the day of. Relax, if it's on the paper then you are golden.

12. CaliAtenza

CaliAtenza master member 10+ Year Member

May 27, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    If we've matched into a categorical neurology program, would the PDs of both Neuro and IM reach out to us tomorrow?

13. smq123

smq123 Roy Lichtenstein SDN Advisor SDN Administrator 10+ Year Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Physician
    This is my favorite post on SDN about PDs calling people on Match Day:

14. Update:
    I got a call from the Chief resident, but I was in a crowded mall and did feel the vibration. Noticed the missed call and voice mail afterwards. Call him back, went to voicemail, left a message showing how excited I was. Went out pre-gaming then clubbing, woke up next morning with another missed call from the chief resident. :shrug: