Khan Academy says that there are chloride channels to allow Cl- to cross the plasma membrane but doesn't elaborate further. Can somebody explain this in more detail?

Nugester

2+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Well, the sodium-potassium pump keeps the outside of the cell + and the inside -. At the resting potential, anions would be inside the cell to maintain +/- aspect. During an action potential it is primarily the movement of sodium and potassium that changes the relative charges inside/outside the cell so i imagine they would stay put.

Nugester

2+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
So yes, I am incorrect that extracellularly there are more Cl, however this is adjusted to maintain the resting potential. Also, the negatively charged anions that result mostly from proteins intracellularly help maintain the -70 mV resting potential as well.

Last edited:
About the Ads
OP

Does chlorine travel down any electrochemical gradients or does its concentration remain stable in the extracellular environment?

Nugester

2+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Does chlorine travel down any electrochemical gradients or does its concentration remain stable in the extracellular environment?
My understanding is that it is relatively stable and is adjusted as needed.

About the Ads