What happens with my 1st school if I accept a waitlist spot at another?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by redking, May 18, 2018.

1. redking

Pre-Medical
    I am accepted at one school already and just got an acceptance to a second. If I accept the offer from school 2 will school 1 find out and if so how soon? Which school I want to go to is contingent on whether I do or do not get an HPSP scholarship and that wont be for 2-3 weeks.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sb247

sb247 Doer of things
    5+ Year Member

Are they both md? Both do? One of each?

I don’t know if they can see, but holding 2 in may is a crappy thing to do to the rest of the applicants. It’s kind of time to pee or get off the potty

Lilmasie, Goro and jdrb0130 like this.
  4. Dr. Meliodas

Medical Student (Accepted)
    If they are both MD schools, the school you just got off the waitlist gives you a time frame to respond after you respond you must withdraw from the other MD school per traffic rules. Many applicants do not have their financial aid information when making this decision at this point.

@gonnif could give further clarification.

5. redking

Pre-Medical
    They are both DO schools.

Also, I'm not trying to be a jerk to other applicants. I just want two; three weeks tops.

6. Dr. Meliodas

You don't get what you want you get what you are given. Many applicants without an acceptance want an acceptance. The school that accepted you off the waitlist should have provided you with a time-frame to make a decision. I believe that after the April 30th deadline the minimum a school is required to give you is 5 days.

sb247 likes this.
  7. workaholic181

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    According to AACOMAS:

"After May 15, AACOMAS reports to each institution the names and candidates for its entering class who hold an acceptance(s) at additional institutions. An osteopathic medical college may rescind an offer of admissions to a candidate who has paid deposits to or holds positions at multiple institutions. If the osteopathic medical college chooses to withdraw the candidate from the entering class, the college must give the candidate a minimum 15-day notice. After the 15-day notice, if the candidate does not respond and is withdrawn from a college, the deposit is forfeited and the seat may be given to another candidate. Therefore, prior to May 15, applicants need to withdraw from any college(s) which they do not plan to attend and only hold a position at one college of osteopathic medicine to avoid having positions withdrawn."

So in addition to what the other's have said about doing the right thing, sounds like you could be jepordizing your position if you try to hold both acceptances. It really shouldnt take you 2-3 weeks to choose one school over another.

Goro and Dr. Meliodas like this.
  8. redking

Pre-Medical
    Well they only gave me 2 days. Also, they only gave their "multiple acceptance" students 2 days instead of 15.

9. Dr. Meliodas

I am not as familiar with DO schools (@Goro ) might be able to help. For MD the only schools that can give student less than 5 days to decide are those that start school earlier than most or if we are moving closer to orientation day.

10. redking

Pre-Medical
    Go back and read my OP and you'll understand that it's not me being indecisive, but rather my decision is based on a factor that I can't control. Also, I don't see how this is a "right thing" or wrong thing. This is about doing what is best for my education, career and family which is what we are all doing. If that means someone else will have to wait for their answer until the first week of June, I'm sorry, but that's not the worst thing in the world.

11. sb247

sb247 Doer of things
    5+ Year Member

See how that is crappy to the other applicants?

The system may allow you to be crappy to them, you may internally justify being crappy to them....but it is what it is

12. redking

Pre-Medical
    Well we will have to agree to disagree. Thanks for lecturing me and getting my thread off topic though!

13. sb247

sb247 Doer of things
    5+ Year Member

we're going to also disagree about the appropriateness of the situation being off topic.....

but good luck with everything

Goro and Aquarius9017 like this.
  14. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Make a list of pluses and minuses, and then pick. Then don't look back

Dremt likes this.
  15. redking

Pre-Medical
    Other than personal preferences, what should I be comparing? Board scores, rotation sites, Match statistics, dress code, class attendance policies, what else? I would like suggestions on what objective factors I need to be looking at.

16. chaim123

Smart enough to be a doctor. Not smart enough to make a personal decision.

17. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Read this:
    Goro’s guide to YOUR interview questions-2016 edition

redking likes this.
  18. redking

Pre-Medical
  19. AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Lol at people saying OP is being crappy to other applicants because he is wanting to wait 2-3 weeks max to see if he gets the HPSP scholarship before making the decision. They don’t owe other applicants a damned thing. This is their career, and wanting to make a calculated decision the way they have presented it here is the smart and sensible thing to do. I no way is it “crappy to other applicants.” :rolleyes:

OP you need to contact the schools and ask what the policy is. Chances are you won’t be able to wait that long and will need to make a decision sooner.