What Happens?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fuegorama

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a third year that obviously can't sleep while thinking about the match.

I was looking at the NRMP site and found this-
http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/tables/table2_05.pdf

According to this little sheet of terror there is a stat that I read to mean ~32% of DO applicants go unmatched. :eek:
This is the NRMP so it's after all those sweet osteo. spots in Flint, Pontiac and Gotham get snapped up.

According to what little I know it looks like this is post-scramble. Is this accurate?

If it is, what happens to these poor folks?
If you have a personal tale of horror, loss, determination followed by cathartic salvation, I'd love to hear it.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

fuegorama said:
I'm a third year that obviously can't sleep while thinking about the match.

I was looking at the NRMP site and found this-
http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/tables/table2_05.pdf

According to this little sheet of terror there is a stat that I read to mean ~32% of DO applicants go unmatched. :eek:
This is the NRMP so it's after all those sweet osteo. spots in Flint, Pontiac and Gotham get snapped up.

According to what little I know it looks like this is post-scramble. Is this accurate?

If you have a personal tale of horror, loss, determination followed by cathartic salvation, I'd love to hear it.
Thanks

That's pre-scramble. When you scramble and get a spot, it's not matching. So I'd guess those 479 students scrambled for ACGME or AOA spots (prob most got AOA spots). Hey, at least it's not as bad as the 45% of IMGs that don't match. Another thing to think about is that is "Matched PGY1" - so it would not include those students that matched into advanced positions and took internships through the AOA match so they would fulfill the AOA internship requirement. I'd imagine quite a few anesthesiology people in that group.
Also interesting that 21% withdrew - that's 429 students that got screwed by the separate matches.

(nicedream) said:
That's pre-scramble. When you scramble and get a spot, it's not matching. So I'd guess those 479 students scrambled for ACGME or AOA spots (prob most got AOA spots). Hey, at least it's not as bad as the 45% of IMGs that don't match. Another thing to think about is that is "Matched PGY1" - so it would not include those students that matched into advanced positions and took internships through the AOA match so they would fulfill the AOA internship requirement. I'd imagine quite a few anesthesiology people in that group.
Also interesting that 21% withdrew - that's 429 students that got screwed by the separate matches.

21% withdrew...what is the usuall reason for that? Not having passing scores on the boards by the ROL deadline?

You get withdrawn from the NRMP match when you match with the AOA.

Solideliquid said:
21% withdrew...what is the usuall reason for that? Not having passing scores on the boards by the ROL deadline?

No, as AlmondJoy posted, you get withdrawn when you match AOA. If there was a combined match, those 21% would not have "withdrawn."

fuegorama said:
Thanks

Well I have a good friend who graduated from Yale and didn't match. She scrambled into Surgery. She is now doing quite well as a practicing OB/GYN. There are plenty of residencies left after the match just maybe not in the location or field of your choice. :)

Not trying to hijack a thread but reading this made me think of a question-

If you dont match into your desired field, can you do something like a transitional year and then reapply again the following year?

NMH2001 said:
Not trying to hijack a thread but reading this made me think of a question-

If you dont match into your desired field, can you do something like a transitional year and then reapply again the following year?

Yes