What have you done since your last application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raekwon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, since the last time you applied to medical school, what have you guys done to help improve your chances? This thread could serve as advice for what people should/shouldn't do during the application cycle if they need to reapply the following year.

Members don't see this ad.

Raekwon said:
I'm curious, since the last time you applied to medical school, what have you guys done to help improve your chances? This thread could serve as advice for what people should/shouldn't do during the application cycle if they need to reapply the following year.

Since my last application:
1. Graduated with 4.0 with Master of Public Health Degree
2. Completed Post-bacc progam, G.P.A.: 3.9
3. Increased MCAT score 3 points
4. Volunteer medical and non-medical(multiplicity)
5. Full-time Senior Research Coordinator for NIH funded Research Study

That's all folks :cool:

1. Masters of Public Health (4.0 GPA)
2. Increased MCAT by 6 points
3. Won a scholarship
4. Intern at the health department working on Emergency Ops plans
5. Research in Dept. of Anatomy and Cell Biology
6. Shadowed physicians in 6 specialties for over 300 hours
7. Teaching assistant for 2 courses (this fall)

Members don't see this ad :)
A question for the two posters above me.. How much interval did you have b/w the two applications? You seem to have achieved a lottt! :thumbup:

I applied to only one school last time.. yes the stupidity!, but this time, I'm hoping to have my MCATs up, completed my BS, shadowed a doctor, clinical research and am planning to start research in Immuno in September. I also have a paper published from my previous year.

What do you think?

Mah said:
A question for the two posters above me.. How much interval did you have b/w the two applications? You seem to have achieved a lottt! :thumbup:

I applied to only one school last time.. yes the stupidity!, but this time, I'm hoping to have my MCATs up, completed my BS, shadowed a doctor, clinical research and am planning to start research in Immuno in September. I also have a paper published from my previous year.

What do you think?

I personally sat out one application cycle to allow myself time to improve. I applied for entering class of 2005 and am now applying for EC of 2007. Most of what I did occurred within one year. I have not graduated from my MPH yet (I have one year left), but I have time to do that before I hopefully matriculate somewhere/anywhere.

Your stats sound promising... yeah, apply to more than one school (but not necessarily as many as me :( ) clinical research and shadowing will be a big boost as will the MCAT. The pub never hurts either... g/l with everything!

jdawt said:
I personally sat out one application cycle to allow myself time to improve. I applied for entering class of 2005 and am now applying for EC of 2007. Most of what I did occurred within one year. I have not graduated from my MPH yet (I have one year left), but I have time to do that before I hopefully matriculate somewhere/anywhere.

Your stats sound promising... yeah, apply to more than one school (but not necessarily as many as me :( ) clinical research and shadowing will be a big boost as will the MCAT. The pub never hurts either... g/l with everything!

Umm Thanks, yeah hopefully something will work out.. :) I also thought of getting a Masters in Public Health, but then decided it would be better to do it side by side with an MD.

Anywho.. thank you..!

:luck:

Mah said:

What do you think?

I applied to see if I would get an interview in 2001 then applied to 3 schools in
2002 and 5 schools in 2004.
Needless to say I wasn't a serious applicant. So, l lets say 4 1/2 years.

Don't do what I did, PLEASE! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

I was forced to take the MCAT again and again after sitting out so long.